jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

1. R.Cruz101 profile image61
    R.Cruz101posted 5 years ago

What are some of your hobbies that you think others should give a try?
    Share what you love to do!
    I've recently added hiking to my list and im glad that i did. I like reviewing movies, watching and playing sports and collecting memorabilia.

1. Dorothee-Gy profile image80
      Dorothee-Gyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have quite a lot of hobbies for which I don't have the time anymore (is it just me or is the time really speeding up like crazy?), like sewing, rubberstamping, painting, reading, jewelrymaking, photographing etc.

I love every one of these acitivities, as they provide me a balance to my usually very analytical profession. I just wished I had more time...

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Welcome to HubPages!

I have plenty of hobbies on the back burner. I don't do them as much as I would like, because I have other priorities.

However, I do enjoy a good game of Chess and recommend everyone learn to play. It teaches quite a bit more than just strategy, which can also be applied to living life.

On another hand, a hobby is only done in spare time anyways. It's not something you would designate a specific time for either.

Just a thought. wink Do enjoy your time here. wink

3. R.Cruz101 profile image61
    R.Cruz101posted 5 years ago

Thanks for the welcome:)

Its true hobbies are done in spare time and I have a lot of that as of now haha.

I agree chess is a great game to play but it's hard to find people who can play or have the time as well.

4. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Yes, Chess is a lost game. I rarely run into people who have the patience or know how. hmm

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Do you think so?  I haven't found that at all - I play, my dad played, my brother took the NW championship a couple of years, and both my sons play.  Even my grandson is learning.

A couple of years ago we got real slow at work so I took a set in and found that over half our crew of electricians play as well.  We had a tournament going on the job site!

1. Cagsil profile image83
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Don't get me wrong Wilderness. I just don't run into that many people willing to play a game. I used to play a guy who drank in the same bar as me. We used to have games in the bar.

I know a lot of people know how to play, especially folks who were in their teens in the 70's or 80's, when Chess was really popular.

It just the people I've come across. That's all. wink

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You may have a point - except for my family, most of the players I know came out of the 50's and 60's and so did I.

1. Cagsil profile image83
            Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's my all-time favorite game. I haven't found another game to compare. wink

5. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

I recently read that hobbies and crafts are becoming more popular again like they used to be many years ago because people are spending more time at home and finding things to do that don't cost money.

I like to hike also, through the parks with my dog.

I like to photograph just for the fun and creativity of capturing a moment or place in time. digital cameras make it so easy.

I listen to a lot of music, especially late at night. not doing anything else, just listening for pleasure.

6. LondonGirl profile image90
    LondonGirlposted 5 years ago

I play netball twice a week, cycle a lot, read, write here and on my own site, play badminton sometimes. I play chess, too. Not a dying art here, loads of people play! And Bridge, too.

Less regularly, I also surf, sail and swim.

7. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

Writing is pretty much my only hobby (among other purposes it serves in my life).  Walking outside and fitness DVD's are interests.  So is making it a point to listen to "my" music regularly.  Other than that, I guess I have to admit I have no real interests in anything other than writing.  lol  "Conventional" hobbies take up time, and require patience and a willingness to have a bunch of stuff around that requires storage.  I have no patience and no interest in making little stuff or collecting little stuff - or whatever people do for hobbies.  This is a writer's mentality, I know, but I see hobbies as something for people who don't want to write as a hobby.  I need my hobby time for writing what I want to write..  smile

8. Aya Katz profile image90
    Aya Katzposted 5 years ago

I have no hobbies but many passionate pursuits.