How to generate traffic outside of HubPages if you do NOT have a blog

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    EMartinposted 15 years ago

All,

I would like to generate more traffic to my Hubs from outside sources, as it is my understanding that these are the folks that are more likely to 'click.'  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your reading my Hubs, too, but just want to add a bit more into the mix.

Could someone please make a couple of suggestions for the beginner that do NOT involve my having a blog.  I have tried StumbleUpon and pinging my Hubs.  Still only one click!

Thank you very much.

EMartin

2. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

It depends on how much work you want to do.

The most work is making people from online communities visit your hubs.
    This would be posting links on forums you become a member of, etc.

Also make sure to build you hubs so that people can find them searching Google. This you will need to read up on in various locations.

The easiest and most important thing you can do is make an account and sign up for all the social bookmarking sites, like StumbleUpon, Digg, De.li.ci.us all of those. For a list of I have to say over 100 is  located here:

http://www.squidoo.com/socialbookmarkingsites

Made by a Hubber named Darkside.

Hope this helps,

-thranax

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

EMartin, StumbleUpon is pretty useless for getting traffic because Stumblers tend to drop in, glance and move on  to the next Stumble, rather than clicking on ads.

What you want to do is get links to your Hubs in various places around the internet.  The more websites that link to your Hub, the better Google will like it.  You can do that by submitting your Hubs to directories and social bookmarking sites, but I must admit I've always felt it's too much work, and I'm still getting traffic!   

What I have done is put links to my Hubs everywhere I am on the net.  For instance, I've added an RSS feed app which lists my Hubs on my Facebook page.  I've also added an RSS feed of my Hubs on iGoogle and Yahoo 360.  Anywhere I have a profile - even sites where I'm no longer active - I've included links to my Hubs and blogs. 

If you're a member of a forum or Yahoo group, you may be able to include a link to a Hub in your signature on posts.   If you join forums on topics relevant to your subject matter, you can even mention your Hubs in posts (wait until you're a real member of the community first, and only mention them if it's relevant to the post - you don't want to look like you're spamming).

1. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Great advice Marisa and a couple additions: If you aren't already get yourself a MySpace and Yuwie account (if you want to join Yuwie my affiliate link is on my profile page) and like Marisa said, become active there, make some friends and you can post a blog there with links to your   hubs. I've also done this at Facebook.

4. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

answer questions at yahoo and link to your relevant hub in the resources box
    provide useful answers on relevant forums and have your hubpages in a link on your sig line
    add your hubpages or profile to your email sig

Plus everything Marisa and Dorsi said!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Tried that a couple of months ago and it wouldn't let me - is it working now?

1. Lissie profile image76
        Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes the block hubpages: or any othe site if you link repeatedly to it: 10x in an hour or so in my "experiment" LOL Solution : http://hubpages.com/hub/Setup-a-WordPre … r-Articles

you could also use a free blogger blog to do it!

5. jezzbb profile image59
    jezzbbposted 15 years ago

All of the above plus article marketing. Write articles and submit it to directories. Include your hubpage url in the resource box, that way you'll have more links pointing to your hubpage. That's what search engines love ->links to your hubpage.

6. Don Simkovich profile image61
    Don Simkovichposted 15 years ago

I think you can see it takes a marketing mix to drive traffic. I have had good traffic from Stumbleupon and I agree most won't click the ads.

Do you know anything about keyword optimization and titles people will search for? This helps. I've written 6 hubs in 2 weeks and they haven't generated much from Google. But of course they're on marketing. I'm going to write some on home improvement.

From all the comments, a hub is like a blog in how it's linked. I guess you can leave comments on relevant blogs, too, with comments and leave your hub as your url.

I did submit a Hub url to Google.

Don

7. Pete Michner profile image68
    Pete Michnerposted 15 years ago

Hello! Good question. I also don't have a blog (yet) and am kind of new at Hub Pages. I found Hub Pages in the first place because I frequently answer questions for people on Yahoo answers, so naturally in my nascent attempts to steer traffic to my page I'm sticking links to my Hub Page on when I answer questions there. I hope this helps!

1. Dorsi profile image87

I signed up for yahoo answers but haven't used it yet- that's a good idea to link to relevant hubs when answering questions.

1. SunSeven profile image62
        SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not a good choice. smile

1. profile image0
          Ronald Daniarposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not a good choice? Perhaps it works

1. profile image0
            terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No its not a good choice. I have joined YA on twelve different occasions as everytime you put a link in your answer you will be suspended or banned. Best to have it in your profile on YA but no one really looks at your profile. Its good for a high PR link though to your sites.

1. profile image0
              Ronald Daniarposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Whoa... thanks for the info, i am not an expert here.

2. kerryg profile image84
              kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting, because I put links in all the time in the source box and have never had a problem. However, as with StumbleUpon, del.icio.us, etc. I add a mix of links that's very diverse, with more links that aren't mine than are. I get a pretty steady stream of traffic to my Supernatural Music lens on Squidoo from YA now, and recently I've been pleased to see that more and more of the traffic is coming from links added by other people.

2. Dorsi profile image87

Why isn't it a good idea SunSeven? I'd appreciate your insight on this before I start doing this.

1. Whitney05 profile image84
            Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dorsi, Yahoo Answers frequently bans HP links for a few days when too many people post too many links to their hubs in answers. It's like when you digg or stumble only your hubs and no other pages, you get banned from adding more. But with Yahoo Answers, they ban everyone from posting links in the answer. I do it occasionally, and it works for a little traffic, but you shouldn't do it all the time, as you, and everyone else, will get an error and can't post the answer with the link to any hubpage related link. You'd have to send them to another url that would direct them to the hub, but even doing this, I'm sure they would catch on and ban that url for a period.

Basically, if you do this, you'll want to post no more than 5 links in a one day period, and wait a few days before doing it again. 5, not being the definitive answer, but an averaged number, being just do a few a week, so we all don't get banned. I know one time the ban for HP urls was a few weeks before they let it up.  I'm sure this is just one more step to being banned permanently.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)