jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

What does it mean when you see RED words saying Duplicate

1. De'cor Amore profile image78
    De'cor Amoreposted 5 years ago

I just put two new recipe Hubs on here one with my recipe and one with my grandmothers and underneath both it is saying in Red Letters DUPLICATE. 

The Hubs are still published and running with ads on them.  I don't understand why they are saying duplicate.

Please help.

2. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

Chances are there is something out there with these recipe's just about word for word and the site is picking that up. I find it hard to imagine that you have had one of your hubs stolen this fast as while it does happen it usually takes awhile to get noticed. You can always try to copy and paste a few paragraphs from your hub into a search box and see what pops up, if there is duplicate content that should bring it up.

Sadly there are those who do rip off our hubs and post them word for word on some other site. The net is full of lazy thieves it seems hmm

De'cor Amoreposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks - I'll try searching and see what I find.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Did you ever post any of the recipes on online forums? One of mine was flagged duplicate, I had forgotten that I posted the recipe on a forum and it was almost word for word.

De'cor Amoreposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes as a matter of fact I did about two years ago.  I had forgotten all about it until you mentioned it.  Didn't even occur to me about that.  Thanks.

4. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

Your chocolate Hershey pie recipe isn't unique -- it's all over the Internet exactly as you have it in your hub. When it comes to recipes, the ingredients themselves are not copyrighted, but the preparation methods are. You cannot simply copy a recipe and republish it. Don't know about the other recipe though. Hope this helps! smile

5. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

I had a look at the Hershey one too, by the way, YUM!

I did think that if it exists out there the ingredients and preparation is going to very likely wind up being word for word or very close just by the nature of it. There are only so may ways to say how much chocolate you need, ya know? You can have phrases that repeat from other places online if most of the text is unique. You could try adding some more bits of text about when you have had this delicious desert or if they don't have access to Hersheys (like here in the UK we have cadburies instead) what replacement ingredients could be used. The real info in the article is short and sweet, nothing wrong with that but if you can fluff it out with favorite times to prepare and substitute ingredients etc. it wont matter that the ingredients duplicate across the net as there will be loads of unique text about what you like about the desert smile