jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)

Full Time at Hubpages

1. prairieprincess profile image96
    prairieprincessposted 5 years ago

I am finding that Hubpages can be very consuming, and a bit overwhelming. To do all that is required to be successful seems like it will take all day!

Keyword search to find a good topic.

Write the article. Proofread the article. Find all your pictures. Find a video. Interlink all hubs.

Post article on  many different social bookmarking sites. Socialize on all said sites, so that you don't seem like a spammer.

Look at many other hubs. Comment on hubs. Follow. Write Fan Mail.

Go back. Tweak hubs some more.

Look at Adsense accounts ... analyze Google Analytics ....

I'm trying to do all these, and it's overwhelming, and I've only made $4.76 so far!

Seriously, does anyone see how this seems like it could be a fulltime job?

Thanks for letting me rant! smile

1. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 5 years ago in reply to this

you need to:

keyword research
      write content, find video and photos
      proof read

you can if you want:

send fan mail
      participate in forum

you don't need to:

socialize your articles
      bookmark in so many social bookmarking site
      check adsense every hour or even everyday or even every week

for a topic you can pass 2 hours in keyword research [1day gone]
      research your topic for 4 hours [2more day gone]
      write your content taking 2 hours [1 more day gone]
      proof read, publish, tweet, stumble [2 hours]

After 5 days and 10 hours you have a successful hub published. Easy and simple. I believe one can do better than this in 10 hour.

After 1 year you have 60 seo friendly, high quality hubs and you are supposed to earn a decent amount as well.

You can tweak your hubs once in every week. It won't take more than 7 hours for all your hubs with the help of title tuner. So a 3hr/day is more than good enough. Just a thought.

With experience and better understanding you can surely do these things 50% quicker. Just a thought.

2. KCC Big Country profile image82
    KCC Big Countryposted 5 years ago

Many do make a full-time career out of it...and are quite successful at it.  Others, like me, spend every hour they're not at their 8-5 job doing this to supplement our income.  smile

3. prairieprincess profile image96

KCC, thank you. Do some people actually do this fulltime? Besides me, that is? lol!

I love it ... I just start to feel guilty when I'm not earning any money!

1. Mikeydoes profile image81
      Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is plenty of money to come. Don't ever think about right now, think for the future. You are building something that only grows, and will always be there, so long as the internet is!

In the first month I made all types of different hubs and really tested everything out. A lot of those hubs still get 0-1 views a day, and those views are probably quick hub-hops. I only made a couple bucks tops.

The second month I still tested different types of hubs out. I then  found some things that worked pretty well, and now I am focusing my time on those types.

Its all about trial and error, and the best part is, those errors can still bring in money! And you obviously learned something from it.

I've also learned to only check adsense in the morning and at night, because it will really make your hair fall out. Just take it step by step. Good luck, money will start rolling in in no time!

4. Mike Dale profile image80
    Mike Daleposted 5 years ago

Here are my thoughts, and they may help you out.

You're question focused on the large amount of work that writing and promoting hubs can be, then addresses whether this is, can be, or should be, full time.

Hubpages is like any other internet marketing venture. There are no ways to get rich quick. Rather it is though hard work and persistence (this is where 90% of people fail) that one succeeds.

Think of it this way. If one wants Hubpages to be a full time gig, then they had better work at it like it is a full time gig. A full time job is 40+ hours a week for most people. It would be reasonable to say that, to be full time with something like hubpages, it would require 40 hours or more a week. This is depending on how fast you want to grow your "hub empire" of course.

There are people who have done it will fewer hours. But it's about expectations.

Internet, or article, marketing takes time to build up a customer base, and credibility with readers and search engines. Most brick and mortar businesses are the same way. A business owner does not just open a store front and watch the customers flock to his doorstep. TV commercials, radio commercials, web sites, direct mail, sign wavers, these are all things off line businesses do to attract customers. If they are lucky, after a few years they may have a loyal enough customer base to not have to do all that leg work.

Do you see the similarity?

So it depends what you want out of it. The nice thing about this online venture is it only requires an investment of time, not money, if you so choose. There is little risk involved, and no risk of financial loss. Brilliant if you ask me!

If you want some dollars on the side, then you don't have to put that much time into it. If you want full time income, then yep, might as well treat it as a full time job.

Sorry I got so long winded, but I hope this helped!

P.S. hubpages is a nice deal in the internet marketing thing in my opinion. No websites to set up, built in page rank, etc. It cuts some extra work out, if you can believe that smile

5. Urbane Chaos profile image92
    Urbane Chaosposted 5 years ago

If you spend all your time on HP, you're very likely to go crazy.  I think that's a proven fact, somewhere. big_smile

I do write for a living, but I don't do it all on HubPages.  Most of my work is either technical related or tourism related, but that doesn't mean that I won't take the opportunity to make a buck somewhere else, like here. 

When I'm between jobs, I usually focus the majority of my time on here.  That means that I may have a couple weeks where I have nothing to do but sit around and look at HP all day...but then comes the hectic times where I can't get away from my real job for a month or so..

Still, those couple of weeks here make up for time lost.  I can do all those things that you say and when it comes time to go back to work I don't have to worry about it.  That's the nice thing about HP - leave it alone and it still works for you.

6. prairieprincess profile image96

Thank you so much for the responses!

Mike, I appreciate your comparison to a bricks and mortar business...very true, and a good reminder.

Chaos, that's cool that you can just do it a few hours a month, and are able to make a living writing somewhere else.

Saleen, great advice, and that's what I'm thinking: it will get easier and I will get faster as time goes on and I gain experience. (like anything!)

I liked your breakdown of the time involved, and am glad to hear about not having to do social bookmarking so much. That is one part that I find really uncomfortable, trying to go to other sites like redgage and shetoldme, etc ... Thanks to everyone ... you guys are so helpful, and I appreciate it a lot!

if you really want to send backlinks to your hubs you should make a back link solid strategy first. Random afford will only take you times and do nothing good for you. And point to be noted is many hubbers earn a good good amount of money without doing any back linking.

7. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

I don't backlink. I don't tell ANYONE when I publish a hub. In fact I now write my money making hubs on other accounts so no one knows that I've published them - except google. And google always finds them and sends me traffic. On those other accounts I don't comment, fan or even talk on the forums. Yet I still make money.

In my opinion if you don't like something - don't do it. That's why I sit down, spend half an hour to an hour writing a hub then IGNORE it. After that, it's on its own. Works for me! big_smile

I will call FBI to monetize you. lol lol

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm similar, I post it on Facebook and Twitter and that is it. I used to add my hubs to a bunch of other pages but didn't find it useful at all, most of my traffic is from Google.

3. Urbane Chaos profile image92
      Urbane Chaosposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wry, I used to backlink every single hub that I write, but lately I haven't seen much point in it.  I decided to test your theory, and much to my surprise, all of my pages still ranked good with Google.

I think that backlinking helps to establish a new hubber, with their first couple of hubs, but after that, I don't think it's necessary anymore.

8. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

You can write and publish a successful hub in roughly one hour -- and by 'successful,' I mean one that makes money. The thing is that it may take some time for the hubs to age with Google -- much like wine and cheese -- before you see any decent income. The backlinking and all of that stuff may help to speed the process along.

9. bigcat1967 profile image58
    bigcat1967posted 5 years ago

For right now - I post most of my articles on my own websites.  I can control the title and meta tags.  Also - I get a lot more from ppl clicking on my ads when they are on my websites.

I do this part time as well - I work 40+ hours as a supervisor at a data center (supervisor - mainframe operations)...and it is very time consuming.

I have been very frustrated in the past - but I realize that the more content I post - either here on HP or somewhere else, the more chance that I have getting traffic and ppl clicking either on adsense or Amazon aff links.

10. Trekkiemelissa profile image80
    Trekkiemelissaposted 5 years ago

It comes in time.  I mostly use twitter and my website to get the word across.  Sometimes I don't do any of it and they rank well themselves.  There is one of my hubs that is on page one of google smile

11. Victoria Stephens profile image82
    Victoria Stephensposted 5 years ago

It is time consuming to make each one good article, but if that one good article only took one day to write and generates part of your income for the next 40 years then in fact the one day seems very little time at all!

1. prairieprincess profile image96
      prairieprincessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Excellent point, Victoria! Sometimes it does take me all day to write an article, because sometimes it takes quite a bit of research, but yes, if it results in residual income for life, it is worth it, isn't it?