jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

If a tree falls but there is nobody around to here it, does it still

1. Matthew Rogerson profile image61
    Matthew Rogersonposted 6 years ago

make a sound?

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

..of course not!
      Sound is a descriptive word man created to describe the sensation received by the ears and sent to the brain of a receptive organism.
      Vibrations  (stimulus)would be created, but if there was not an "organism" to receive them and respond, there would be no sound (The sensation stimulated in the organs of hearing by such vibrations in the air or other medium.)
      Qwark

1. Matthew Rogerson profile image61
        Matthew Rogersonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think your beginning to like proving me wrong Qwark, haha

1. qwark profile image61
          qwarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hey...lol...in biology it's called SOS (Stimulous, Organism, Resonse.)
          All the "vibrations" on earth wouldn't make sound if there was nothin to make sense of them.
          It'd be a very silent place... without ears.
          Qwark

2. Stevennix2001 profile image83
    Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago

Does a tape recorder count as a person?  If not, then I think I can easily find that out for you. smile

3. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Of course it makes a sound. Just because no one is there to hear it, doesn't negate the sound that it would make when it falls.

4. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 6 years ago

if a tree falls and nobody is around, it gets up quietly and runs back to its old place of growing as if nothing happened. smile

1. 2uesday profile image88
      2uesdayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

and because nobody was there to witness its fall it does not have to be embarrassed about it and no one has the job of shouting 'Timber.'

5. Richieb799 profile image61
    Richieb799posted 6 years ago

Why would a perfectly healthy tree just fall? or is a rotten one, or was there an avalanche that knocked it over? lol

6. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 6 years ago

i heard a noise! So i can to see what all the noise was about (jeje).

7. damian0000 profile image73
    damian0000posted 6 years ago

If a man screws up and a woman isn't there to see it, can he just deny everything?

If not, i am in trouble!

8. Matthew Rogerson profile image61
    Matthew Rogersonposted 6 years ago

In response to various questions, yes a tape recorder is a person (although controversial for many reasons!ha), I guess it has to be a rotten tree unless a random avalanche did appear and denying everything may be a good idea to get you out of trouble.. but just this one time smile

9. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

I remember at least three people asking the same question on these forums...

working