jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

The best books ever written, it's topic and why you love it?

1. OpticIllusions profile image79
    OpticIllusionsposted 5 years ago

Hey everyone! I am an avid reader and I'm always looking for new topics to explore. I want to know the best books you have ever read, it's topic and why you love it. Feel free to include anything from classics to modern releases. Looking forward to your responses.

1. Docmo profile image94
      Docmoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There are too many to count. One from recent memory is ' The Amazing adventures of Kavalier and Clay' by Michael Chabon. ( It won the pulitzer). It combined so many themes I love: sweeping epic, coming of age themes, immgrant expereicne, two aspiring comic book writer/artist cousins - determined ot make it big in NY-  come from europe to US amidst the Nazi threat-  and the story follows their journey, loves, lives, successes and tragedies. I think it is loosely based on some of the experiences of Joe shuster and Jerry Siegel ( who created superman) and perhaps Stan Lee ( all those who created the true american original- the comic books & superheroes) Chabon is a master cradtsman, his writing is full of verve, passion, humour and narrative excitement. Its a long book but you never feel bored and you are swept up in its pace and elegance. I could go on...

1. OpticIllusions profile image79
        OpticIllusionsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'll definitely have to look into the author. I love an eclectically themed novel, "Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" sounds like quite a book, I'll  have to add that to my list!

2. Man of Honour profile image61
      Man of Honourposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why not read these books on an Amzon kindle 3G
      Check out my blog about it on my hubpage at

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 5 years ago

Chesapeake - by James Michener. About the history of the Chesapeake Bay area. If you love the ocean, the tides, and marshes, you'll love this epic novel. Michener makes history come alive!

Grapes of Wrath - by John Steinbeck. About human struggle in the dust bowl and the Great Depression. I think every American should have to read this novel.

Hunter's Horn - by Harriette Arnow. About a poor family in the Cumberland Mountains and the father's obsession with killing a legendary fox. This book includes some of the most amazing imagery I've ever experienced!

Candide - by Voltaire. About the Age of Enlightenment. Funny and sarcastic, but very revealing.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

Alchemist by Paolo Coelho

simple story about finding our dreams and life's journey

There are many lessons in life to be learned in the simple short book by Coelho

some of lifes lessons that we can learn from the book are :

It’s the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary.
    There is only one way to learn, and that is through action
    Follow your dreams
    Don't be scared of the unknown
    Know what you want
    Move on – always look forward

4. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 5 years ago

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

The most amazing book I've ever read - it covers many opposing themes and topics from discrimination/equality and black/white, to present/past and material/spiritual.

What I get out of the book is this:  People are people.  It doesn't matter who you are, or what your name is, it's what you do that matters.  Deep down inside, everyone is the same and everyone deserves respect.

5. rmcrayne profile image95
    rmcrayneposted 5 years ago

These books have all been turned into mini series, which is how I became aware of the books, which are all great. 

The Winds of War by Herman Wouk.  About the events leading up to the US involvement in WWII. 

War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk.  Picks up with the bombing of Pearl Harbor. 

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.  There are actually 4 books in the series, but I can only vouch for this one.  It’s about 2 former Texas rangers and their odd friendship.  Cattle drives, horse rustling, fights, and great loves along the way. 

North and South Trilogy by John Jakes.  About the deep South and the US Civil War.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I forgot to add Lonesome Dove to my list! I've read all four, too!