jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Aumsville Tornado

1. lindajot profile image81
    lindajotposted 5 years ago

Boy have we had lots of excitement with the tornado here in Oregon.  I'm kinda surprised at the attention it's gotten, I guess since they are somewhat rare in this area.  We're 3 miles from Aumsville and my hubbies folks live in a mobile home there - that was a scare, but they're fine.  A home two doors down was trashed though.  At our house I just had very black skies and wild hail.
    I so feel for the folks who live in areas where these are more common - what a force of mother nature!

2. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 5 years ago

Glad you're ok.  I've lived in tornado alley all my life.  We have a healthy respect for them.  They are nothing to take lightly.

3. lindajot profile image81

Wow KCC - I can't imagine living in tornado alley.  Or, in California after the earthquakes.  I love storms, but, everyone says I would be terrified in a real one.  Being on the outskirts of this one was enough for me.

4. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't want to live in California.  Earthquakes are not something I'd want to experience. 

I guess it's been over a year now, but our area of Texas had a meteor touch down.  The best way I can describe it is the air shook.  You could feel the vibration of the atmosphere as we stood outside trying to figure out what the roar was.  The people around here that had fragments made a chunk of change from the hoards of people who converged on the area to buy up the pieces.

5. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

lindajot, I'm glad to hear you're okay and your in-laws too.

I'm also living in tornado alley now, but I have relatives in California.  They have said they wouldn't want to live where there might be tornadoes, but they don't mind the earthquakes.  And I'm just the opposite!  It all depends on what you're prepared for and what you're accustomed to.

But also, I haven't been terribly close to a tornado that has touched down.  I might change my mind if I had been.

Let us know if there's more news about it!

6. lindajot profile image81

We're pretty lucky where we live, except for Mount St. Helens blowing her top - there isn't too much commotion.  I find it all pretty fascinating.  Very outside our control.