jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

Musings from Houston

1. MeGunner profile image73
    MeGunnerposted 5 years ago

It's my first time in America and America has surpassed my expectations as high as those expectations are. The security checks and pat downs at the airport were not as bad as widely publicized. I state this from a parochial point of view; based on a one time experience. Disappointingly, the roads were not of marble... houses are not built of gold. In fact, people actually drove their own cars... not driven by some alien-looking robot or invisible remote. There goes my disappointment. Needless to re-state how organized a society it is here. Issues are tackled to the last 'annoying' details and the big deals here actually are funny to me. Watching local TV, all I see is intensive weight-loss programmes, a celeb going to prison for tax evasion, Kim Kardashian's latest lipstick, the President struggling by all means to sell his tax cut ideas ( I thought there is something called 'veto'), a gunman being hunted by the police etc. I see drug adverts with the advertisers emphasizing the side effects and contra-indications so much so that I wonder if any body will ever use those drugs. Then lawyers encouraging people to try and remember if they've ever been struck by lightning, for they might deserve to be compensated! (Are American lawyers that desperate?). These are some I could easily recall. These are worthwhile isssues to worry about, though for a mind like mine, raised in a developing country, it's comical. But this is how life is meant to be lived. Improving everyday and never satisfied. Americans are pushing America to perfection... leaving the rest of the world reeling in wonder at how a group of species of their kind bound by a common outlook are living their own lives. The weather so far has been kind to me... Just like a cold day in Lagos. I think I have a better understanding now when I hear, 'God bless America'. He really will...

1. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 5 years ago in reply to this

(psst - try listening to the radio!  I'd love to know what you hear. big_smile)

Oh, and btw - the streets are paved with Gold.  lol  (jk!!)

Thanks for putting it into perspective for those of us who've seen this every day for Years. hmm roll

MeGunnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Is there time to listen to the radio? Houston road are not paved with gold LOL

2. rmcrayne profile image95
      rmcrayneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Welcome to Texas MeGunner.  We have the marble streets, gold houses, and best weather here in San Antonio  big_smile  Since you’re in Houston, I highly recommend Galveston. 

Sounds like you’re watching CNN, MSNBC, Fox or other news network with the knit-pickers. 

I couldn’t agree more about the drug advertisements.  I usually look at my brother or sister and say “Seriously?!?!”

As for lawyers, wait until you hear the commercials pitching to the parents of children with cerebral palsy.  That really gets me riled up.  Guess it doesn’t suit their purposes to consider that the delivery was difficult because the baby was already “injured”, not the other way around.  Shameless vultures!  I have a great article by an Italian developmentalist on this from many years ago. 

Anyhoo, welcome.  You are very gracious.  I hope we don’t disappoint you.

Thanks. I can't possibly be disappointed. Yeah am planning to go to Galveston, Austin and possibly Dallas. it's a great weather out here... If San Antonio's is better, then it's worth visiting.

1. rmcrayne profile image95
          rmcrayneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I love the weather this time of year in San Antonio. Nice jacket/sweater weather. 

If you get the chance, get down to the San Antonio River Walk.  They have the Luminarias lighting the path.  Check out the Alamo and the Hill Country attractions.  I have a hub on San Antonio and Hill Country Parades and Festivals, as well as other hubs on SA/River Walk and Hill Country attraction in Gruene, Wimberly, Johnson City and Fredericksburg.

Thanks. The weather is really quite beautiful... I think the SA River walk will be a great 'place' to see. Will try to...