jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

It's Unfair of HubPages: Pls Help

1. Kdban101 profile image61
    Kdban101posted 5 years ago

I have many good recipes and want to share. However as you all might know recipes almost always get flagged as duplicate, mere mortals like us can't everybody invent recipes for heaven's sake. I can't rewrite directions much for two reasons -
    1)It will confuse the readers
    2)Recipes anyways consist of few lines and so it does help much to rewrite.
    However, some Hubbers like De'cor Amore is doing quite well by publishing recipes. Note that I am not accusing her of plagiarism, but I found almost all her recipes having exact duplicate copies on google, most published before her hubs.
    Let's be frank, recipes pay well, so if I go ahead and say publish 100 recipes, will hubpages ban me. ( please also consider Decor's example).
    Waiting for your answers

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

For one thing, you don't know if her recipes are also being flagged as duplicate. It's tacky bringing up another hubbers name when you don't know the details.

I have a recipe hub with recipes I got from other places that is flagged as duplicate because someone posted it in its entirety on a forum.  I have another one where I got the recipes out of books and it has not been flagged.

I write a lot of my own text to precede the recipes and rewrote the instructions in my own words. I bet if you have more of your own writing in it the duplicate flag will disappear, until someone copies it smile.

Kdban101posted 5 years ago in reply to this

i don't know if hubpages flagged some of her recipes or not but i clarified pretty clearly that i am not accusing her. while writing about recipes it is common that she will face this problem.

2. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 5 years ago

Hi Kdban! I'm sure you understand that if those same recipes are already on the internet, you are not going to make much money with them! Usually, people want to publish original recipes, thus it gives something new to the world wide web--then you make money! Just think about this: If you publish a recipe that is already on the internet dozens of times, if not more, then you would never rank high enough to make a dime from them! So why bother with doing that? If you make your own recipes, new and original, you can make quite a bit!

3. cre8tive profile image81
    cre8tiveposted 5 years ago

I've published a few recipies here on Hubpages and have never had any trouble with them being flagged as duplicate ~ mind you that's probably because they are my own recipes ~ as in I created them.

They all have elements from other recipies for example banana bread is always going to contain bananas (one would hope) but the combination of other ingredients and the methods used should be your own.

Also recipes don't just have to be a few lines long, you can include information about how the recipe can about, explanations about the different types of ingredients etc.

Libby101a is right, you won't rank well with a recipe that's already plastered over the internet, so if you want to write recipes they really should have your own stamp on them.

4. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I'm frankly shocked that any hubber who wants their work to be taken seriously would take recipes from the net and re-publish them in their entirety.

I've got a few recipes but they either came from books and I re-worded them or they were my own anyway.

I wouldn't dream of taking any from the net without rewording it completely, although it's generally accepted that the list of ingredients can't be changed.

Kdban101posted 5 years ago in reply to this

i never said i want to copy recipes from other site, if that was my intention i would have already started doing it. i wanted to know how to avoid duplicacy filter even if i write my own recipes( of well known preparations of course).
      LOLz, it is difficult to reword mix this and pour that etc.

1. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No I wasn't referring to you as you obviously want to avoid having any duplicate content.
        If you take a recipe from a book you can easily reword the method. It might say  "stir continuously until it is boiling", and you could say, keep stirring until it boils" that is re-worded while saying the same.
        Also as I think it was UW pointed out, you can add your own own intro or ending to the hub which will dilute any duplicated words anyway.

5. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

I actually was interested about how to write recipes without making it seem like the same one out there a dozen times already.

I have a website for a friend who makes maple syrup in Vermont. So I wanted to make a page of recipes for maple syrup.

But since a recipe is almost always the same, like how to make maple syrup candies, I don't know how to make it different?

I suppose with enough thinking you can make an original sounding one, but the basics will always be the same.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's why you can't copyright the ingredients but you can copyright the instructions.

6. 0
    Twenty One Daysposted 5 years ago

This is why, after the Hubalicious contest, I launched foodicle.com.
    A few of mine had been instantly copied...

7. 0
    ssaulposted 5 years ago

i always do my own recipes, i publish about recipes in a day in my own words the best way i know how! you can check out my hubs and see!

8. Kdban101 profile image61
    Kdban101posted 5 years ago

@ssaul - you have a very interesting combination of topics