jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)

Missing Category?

1. snakebaby profile image68
    snakebabyposted 6 years ago

Wanted to write a hub about my bad experience with a hair salon, found no appropriate category for it. I checked several times and still nothing fits. Do we have anything for reviews? All sub-cat are for nice things, I really had hard time finding the category for my bad experience

1. profile image55
      paresh111posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Deleted

2. snakebaby profile image68
      snakebabyposted 6 years ago

I'm waiting for some guidance here, anyone?

1. Rafini profile image86
        Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

how about under fashion?  I'd hafta look and see if there's anything appropriate for reviews....

2. Rafini profile image86
        Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I found - Hairstyles, cool cuts, how to style your hair - under fashion.

I also did a search of topics and found Performance & Employment reviews - don't think that's what you're looking for.

And, Fashion Reviews - maybe it'd work?

snakebabyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi Rafini, I really appreciate your help. I did look under anything hair, just didn't see a good one. I wasn't thinking about fashion reviews, it doesn't seem to be suitable. Fashion reviews refer stuff totally different. Anyway, thanks a lot for the input. Merry Christmas, by the way!

3. larryfreeman profile image87
        larryfreemanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi SnakeBaby,

"Review" is a tricky subcategory.  In general, any category could have a "review" subcategory because every category is associated with something that can be reviewed.

We've tried to create review subcategories only in areas where reviews are closely associated with that category.  For exmaple, "Movies & Movie Reviews". 

Are you looking for a subcategory such as "Barbers and Hair Salons"?

Thanks,

-Larry

Hi Larry: Thank you for the information. I understand what you were saying, although I wondered whether there was such need for a pure "review" category, regardless of what they are, or maybe organize it as "product review", "misc. review", or whatever, just a random thoughts, no deep thinking as of now. But I do like your suggesting "barbers and hair salons", that should fit much better for my hair experience. But is that an existing category? I checked, didn't find it

1. larryfreeman profile image87

Hi snakebaby,

I just added the subcategory (forgot to do it before):

You can find it here:
            Fashion and Beauty -> Hair Styles, Cool Cuts, ... -> Barbers and Hair Salons

If you have any other suggestions for this area, please let me know.

Cheers,

-Larry

Thanks a lot, Larry, you are so helpful and cool! I'd like to take this opportunity to know whether putting my hubs to a newly created category would affect how google finds the hubs?

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

2. snakebaby profile image68

Hi Larry: but I didn't see the new sub-cat anywhere:(

1. larryfreeman profile image87

Hi snakebaby,

It's there.  When you are assigning a category to a hub, if you do a search on "salon" or a browse through the categories, you will find it.

It will not appear in the topic pages until there are at least 5 hubs that use that category.  :-)

-Larry

Thanks, Larry, learned something new. Now I really have to ask you this question: if for a while I'm the only one using this category (don't expect it would become a popular one), will that affect google finding this hub since it is sort of hidden?

3. larryfreeman profile image87
      larryfreemanposted 6 years ago

Hi snakebaby,

As far as I understand it, it should not affect the Google rank of your hub.  Your hub is simultaneously in all categories above the one you choose.

As I understand it, the more subcategories, the more potential there is to appear on multiple topic pages (once they exist).  So, in theory, there is even a slight benefit to using a new subcategory.

Of course, the minor benefit won't happen until the new subcategory gets enough hubs (5 or more) to get its own topic page.

working