A talent search...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. ProCW profile image80
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

I was just wondering what are the best ways that you've found to get related video on your hubs. Tried the search-thing... doesn't work to well with much of what I write about, so I just started a talent search in one of my latest hubs. Think that might work?

ProCW

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

One of my major issues at the moment is sifting through the thousands of poorly tagged, low quality videos on YouTube looking for a suitable one. It will soon be unusable if they don't develop a better search facility.

1. ProCW profile image80
      ProCWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I hear that Mark!!! smile Hence my talent search! smile Hopefully soon there will be a better, at least more efficient, way to do that!

ProCW

3. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years ago

I agree with Mark. Not only is the videos hard to weed through, the pics are exhausting! When I looked up some of the recipe pics on a hub, I got things that were so totally unrelated to what I searched for that it was rediculous! It takes much longer to locate the pics and video than it ever does to actually write the hub! I have spent as long as an entire day looking for pictures before! I wish you the best of luck with your talent search, ProCW. I hope it helps!

Bonnie

1. ProCW profile image80
      ProCWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Bonnie!

Here's an idea for the photo thing. Maybe there should be a request area for photos. Maybe if I have something your Mark has something that you need, then we could just send it over or something like that...

SweetiePie did a video for one of my hubs... and I've done a graphic for one of her's... kinda cool how to help a fellow-hubber, ya know? smile

ProCW

1. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
        Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Excellent idea! Why don't you run this by HP? I also have something I need to run by them. I was thinking how much easier it would be to go back to a hub you are working on if we could have another tab for the "unpublished" hubs in our account section so that when we get a long list, we don't have to scroll, scroll, scroll to get to the bottom where all the unpublished hubs end up. I hope they take your suggestion on this, it is a good idea!

Nate, there are some excellent videos out there. It just takes a lot of weeeding through the unrelated stuff to find them! lol

Bonnie

4. NateRider profile image60
    NateRiderposted 15 years ago

I imagine it would be hard to find good video on YouTube. Especially when it needs to be related to a very specific subject. However, I will be attempting to put videos up on some of my hubs soon, so I'll probably be running into the trials you're encountering right now. I'll tell you if I find anything!

5. profile image0
    RUTHIE17posted 15 years ago

Bonnie--  I totally agree with your last statement.  It takes lots of time to go through the photos and videos to find that special one you're looking for.  And yes, I too have spent more time looking for them than I spent writing the Hub!

That's one reason I've saves so many interesting photos on my computer when I've found them--I'm thinking I may find a use for them someday!

Ruthie

6. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

Yes, finding photos can take a while.  That's why I like this site:

http://www.zoo-m.com/flickr-storm/

Mark introduced me to it.  It makes it easy to sort through photos and the search seems to throw up a good selection.

Just make sure you use the Advanced feature so you get photos that are appropriately licensed.  I always use the "photos to use commercially" to be on the safe side, but I still get hundreds of photos to choose from. 

Remember to always acknowledge the photographer in your Hub with a link to their Photostream (not just their name under the picture, because that's not a live link).

I haven't had too much trouble finding what I want on Youtube, maybe it's just the subjects I pick!

1. Dorsi profile image88
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Great great great picture site!! Thanks Marisa!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)