jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

I'm not a writer, or am I?

1. jdaviswrites profile image92
    jdaviswritesposted 5 years ago

At what point can one call oneself a writer? Is it when they start to use words like oneself? Almost every profession entails some form of writing, whether it’s writing someone's name on a to-go order or writing a parking ticket. We are all writers. But we don’t all call ourselves writers. I don’t consider myself a writer even though I write, or try, to write everyday. This doesn’t mean I haven’t thought about becoming a writer, because I have, and still do on a daily basis. But how do I know when I am a writer, or am I one already?

1. MPG Narratives profile image85
      MPG Narrativesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

For someone who doesn't call themselves a writer you are quite good at it.

Does it really matter what you call yourself? If you enjoy writing then write, if you enjoy singing then sing, what you call it is irrelevant isn't it?

1. jdaviswrites profile image92
        jdaviswritesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree. Just felt like posting in the forums and how people would respond. No reasons to try and label things. It is what it is.

2. 60
    foreignpressposted 5 years ago

There's two ways to look at it: A writer is one who writes for the hell of it, or a writer is one who makes a living by writing. Create your own definition and enjoy yourself.