jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

Where Do You Get Your News?

1. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 6 years ago

I have stopped watching the news on TV, especially the news networks. All I saw was partisan bickering and screaming, and agenda driven "reporting." It's hard to trust newspapers either or news websites. So what's a person to do to get just the facts without all the spin and "analysis"? Any recommendations?

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I also watch PBS newshour in the evening. They also have an informative website. NYTimes International version online for world news. lately I've been too busy, but I like the newshour in the evening. I try not to watch too much, just enough to know what's going on. I think people are too consumed with the all day 'news' networks.

1. rotl profile image60
        rotlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ok cool... two votes for PBS.

I agree, people are way too worked up these days from watching the 24/7 news networks. It almost seems more like propaganda brainwashing than news.

2. Mikeydoes profile image79
      Mikeydoesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Lol, I was in a thread where I talked about this yesterday.

I said I get most of my news from Hubpages or places like it, usually off of theinternet.

2. 0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago

I watch PBS. I think its the BBC news? I have no idea if it is spinless or has analysis, its the only channel that comes in clear.

1. rotl profile image60

LOL! I guess that's as good a reason as any to watch it. I'll have to check it out.

1. 0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

smile My guess is that its best to get news from several sources for the whole picture.

1. rotl profile image60

That's a good point. But, it seems like news outlets put such a slant on things... which extreme do you believe? Both are probably exaggerating... so where in the middle does the truth lie?

1. 0

that's just it, in the middle.

1. rotl profile image60

Yeah, but it's not always right in the middle, sometimes one side is right or the truth leans more towards their argument, but they just take their case too far.

1. 0

I guess a person who watches the news either has some common sense and a realistic outlook to the world, or they don't. Some people believe everything they hear, and some realize that there is far more grey then black and white. I know there is some truth to all of it but I don't think you would ever know the whole truth unless the event being reported on is happening in front of you. For me, when it come to local news, or world news, or stories of fights from friends of mine that are now divorced from each other.... all you can do is find out all the available information, take into account the trustworthiness of the sources, and make a decision.

1. rotl profile image60

Well said. In the end you do have to use some judgement. Which is what scares me about the news networks, a lot of people seem to take what they say at face value, and hence we have so much partisanship and division.

3. 68
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

From 3 or 4 newspapers, a couple local tv channels, a couple national broadcasts, msn.com, cnbc.com. Fbch.
    Take it all with a grain of salt.  They all report from their perspective. They add or delete to serve their purpose.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image83
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

I remember being told at school we should read all the newspapers, not just one.  Of course, who could afford to?

So my news input is BBC, SKY or ITV news - for the pretty pictures and a tabloid snapshot - the Independent newspaper - for a mixture of views (all of them biased according to the writer) - and occasionally web based media - ie. vested interest views from whatever source.

I then file that stuff using my own inbuilt bias and make the news fit my warped and cynical view of things.

Sometimes something slips through.  I couldn't believe the politicians would invent Saddams WMD or ignore UN resolutions without a damn good honourable reason.

I was wrong.

1. rotl profile image60

Well put. I think we all do that to some extent, try to reconcile the news with our personal biases. And yes, there are some times when you just can't see some things happening. You gave a great example.

5. lorlie6 profile image84
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

HubPages first.  I also am a huge fan of PBS, and watch it when I want to get some intelligent and well thought out information.
    Mostly, though, I listen to National Public Radio.

But when I am acting like a trained sociologist-which I am-I enjoy the variety of 'reporting' found on Fox and MSNBC.  Sometimes I also check out the very redneck local news.  These are fascinating studies in bias and popular culture!

working