jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Tron Legacy - When there's no resolution.

1. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago

Somewhere about half a century ago, modernism came in. It said that stories didn't have to have a start, a middle, and an end. It said that there didn't have to be a perfect resolution.

Well, call me old fashioned if you will, but I feel cheated when there isn't a resolution.

I've just watched Tron. I want to know what happened to each member of the board. I want to know what their faces looked like when they were told 'no more'. I want to know how it was possible for an electronic creature to suddenly become flesh and blood. I want to know so many things.

I did find out one thing, though! smile

They did use the sound byte that they made in the panel for the movie. In the scene where the crowd is applauding, that's US - Comic-con audience!

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I would highly recommend watching the original movie Tron. It was made a couple of decades ago. It might help you answer some questions that you have. smile

1. 0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't even know how to reply to this, Cagsil. smile

Why do you think that I haven't seen the movie?????

1. Cagsil profile image59
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Because your post suggest you haven't seen the first one. You asked how a computer image can become human? When in the first movie it was actually the opposite.

A human was transformed into the game. wink

1. 0
          Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Cagsil, I don't think you get what I'm saying... smile

The first movie was filmed in the classic tradition of storytelling. The second movie was filmed in the current tradition of storytelling. In other words, in the first story, things were explained as the movie went along. One left the theater with everything explained. In the second story, no explanations are given.  One leaves the theater with many loose ends in the air.

At the comic-con panel, when the movie makers of Tron were speaking, that was one of the questions asked. Would people have to see the first movie in order to understand the second movie, and the answer was no.

What I'm speaking about here is the fact that most modern movies have lost the classic tradition of 'start, middle, resolution.' I gave a few examples which occur in Tron.

It was not explained in the movie how it was possible for a computer generated figure to become human. Regardless of how the first movie 28 years ago explained it, it doesn't explain it in this move. This, for me, means I walk out of the theater for many modern day movies, unsatisfied.

Bottom line is that I prefer the classic tradition of storytelling as explained in Joseph Campbell's book, 'The Hero's Journey.'

3. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Oh, okay. hmm

working