Just give me a list of 10 things to do once I hit publish...

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

Ok, I'm a simple guy, and mostly a writer just trying to have fun until one of my damn novels finally makes me rich, but I'd like to know in the simplest, shortest, paint by numbers with no need to understand why, ten things to do to get traffic with no effort  LOL.   I see hubs that have no comments and have been published for 8 minutes and are front page "hot." So there has to be something people do fast and easy.

Assume my hubs are constructed well (lol, yes a leap, but play along) by standards I've read about.  I have stumbleupon, mixx, Reddit and Myspace accounts and I can link to them (but I'm not really going to go write articles on them to generate a fanbase or something, so you skip that if it's one of the steps.)

Just hook me up the short, short list, preferably each step under 10 words to suit my incredible laziness and loathing for all things technical and left brained. Like a check list you'd write for an autistic hamster or something.

Ok.. go!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

I dunno, you could write about  crap and cannnabalism...  but, on the other hand  (oops, need to stop to wash the  other hand) I think you are doing well.

You have a high rating and are a short timer. I'm rather new myself, but but I have seen my page views jump a lot in the last week. I don't have any of those other networking sites. I signed on to one-- but it apparently requires some attention that  I haven't given, since it netted me ten views.

I'm enjoying it and have probably $2.50 in my account. Maybe sometime it will net something, but in the meantime I'm getting some stuff off my harddrive-- and though I hadn't planned to, actually wrote some new stuff.

I personally appreciate your replies and support. I think you are definetely building a following-- give it time.

3. Shadesbreath profile image78

Yeah, I'm figuring time will help, but there has to be stuff people do that doesn't require tons of technical savvy too.  Or maybe there isn't and it's just time.  Thanks for the support.  (Oh, and btw, a friend of mine who lives in Hawaii was here last week and brought up YOUR animals in the bra hub at one point as an example of high humor.  You are appreciated in the tropics!)

4. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 15 years ago

"no effort"?

"incredible laziness"?

You might want to buy an ebook.

5. Shadesbreath profile image78

I was afraid people might say that, Dark.  But, I shall maintain hope nonetheless!

6. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

I  have seen websites selling information products on how to get organic, free traffic, and I have seen some pretty detailed internet marketing ebooks on targeting a niche audience. But basically it comes down to writing about things that are interesting for people to read and learn from.

Good Luck!

7. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

There IS such a thing as a free, lunch, Shadesbreath, but it comes at the cost of sweat equity.

If you could get traffic online by doing nothing and being incredibly lazy, we would all be internet millionaires by now.

There are many things you can do that don't cost money, but they all cost time.

I am working on applying the 80/20 rule so that I am working on the 20% of things that bring the 80% of results during the limited time I have available.

However, I am nothing if not accommodating, so here goes with the list:

1. Do keyword research.
    2. Do click pricing research.
    3. Match a high-traffic keyword with a high click price to a topic you know something about.
    4. Write a Hub on it.
    5. Get backlinks.
    6. Get backlinks.
    7. Get backlinks.
    8. Get backlinks.
    9. Get backlinks.
    10. Rinse and repeat.

Jenny wink

1. profile image0
      Ronald Daniarposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Great tips!
      Thanks, I do need it! Did you publish it in detail in one of your hubs? I like to learn more about them.

8. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

No, no no, that is too much effort.

Here is my list after I hit publish.

1. Congratulate myself on a job well done
    2. Marvel at my awesomeness for a minimum of twelve minutes
    3. Put the kettle on
    4. Make coffee
    5. Drink coffee with cigarette telling myself how clever I am
    6. Think about starting the next one
    7. Have another cup of coffee
    8. Get some inlinks
    9. Start checking where I am on the search engines
    10. Tell myself how clever I am once again

Easy - works every time big_smile

1. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Rubbish Mark: this is not at all how it works You know full well the coffee is for during the creative process :afterwards is the red wine! Also checking the search engines is step 1 surely LOL

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image70
        Stacie Naczelnikposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts exactly.

Mark's tips are great, but I would have the coffee earlier, and replace the ciggy with wine.

2. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You could have sold that as an ebook for $7.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

In that case, you owe me seven bucks smile

1. darkside profile image66
          darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

But I didn't read it, I swear.

3. rmr profile image69
      rmrposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Step 10 should read: Tell myself how clever I am once again, while cashing yet another massive adsense check! I can't believe you forgot to add that part, Mark!

9. MM Del Rosario profile image85
    MM Del Rosarioposted 15 years ago

Very clever Mark.!!! i think i'll do that

10. DonnaCSmith profile image82
    DonnaCSmithposted 15 years ago

I like Mark's list, except for the cigarette - I will have some trail mix close at hand instead.

I too am lacking in the savvy of how to do some of the stuff I read discussed.

I think the secret is writing about sex, or having it in your title, either that or "How to Make Money Without Really Trying."

I don't mind investing the time, I just want to know I am not wasting time.

What I have gotten out of Hubs has been some networking, ideas and like Rochelle, getting some old files back into circulation, and I am enjoying the experience. But, yes, I want to generate some money, too.

11. 2patricias profile image61
    2patriciasposted 15 years ago

There appear to be a few words to include in the title if you want lots of instant traffic.  We suggest: hot, sexy, free, easy, money, $100, quick .  That's for starters.  You could make a few titles out of those! 
    Then, if you really want to keep people's attention, say something interesting!

Actually, we make hardly any money, but we do have fun.

12. flutterbug77 profile image58
    flutterbug77posted 15 years ago

I like your attitude, Mark. Why worry and beat yourself up?

13. Shadesbreath profile image78

Well, I think Inspirepub's list is probably better for generating traffic, but since I don't know how to do steps 1-2 and 4-9, so I'm going with Mark's list for now with a Pepsi substitute for coffee (or a beer if it's after 5pm).

1. Dottie1 profile image59
      Dottie1posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Didn't you know that "Things Go Better With Coke"?

14. funnebone profile image72
    funneboneposted 15 years ago

I think posting a picture of a well endowed woman in your profile would help. I am going to run a craigslist ad for a model. I don't have much to offer : $5.43, air conditioning and a half a bag of doritos. I don't think I will get any supermodels but I think I may get her to clean a toilet while she is here.

He's just a simple guy.  Why not a well endowed man?

15. funnebone profile image72
    funneboneposted 15 years ago

guy pictures do not get more hits...that is why you dont see hubs pushing " the to sexiest guys of india". I put  my pic on my hub not to get more hits but rather to get some sympathy money

I just joined your fan club if that makes you feel any better.  Maybe I'll go back and click an ad too.  LOL

2. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Where's the dog picture - he was cute :-(

1. thranax profile image73
        thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, where did it go? *disappointed*

16. Shadesbreath profile image78

Well, I'll not touch the great Coke vs. Pepsi thing lest this forum run off in a direction normally saved for religious threads.

I do like the idea of a hot model pic, but it's so over done I fear I might risk what shred of credibility I might one day earn.  I'm holding out on that strategy until all hope is lost first, then, credibility be damned!

As for the hot male model, well, that would just be a lie.

And Mark, you owe me at least $2.00 out of that $7.00 since this is my thread.

17. Gaget Girl profile image69
    Gaget Girlposted 15 years ago

Ah Ill click on an add too for ya! And I'm definitely becomming your fan!

(This isn't sympathy by the way! lol This is thinking your a pretty cool guy and I want to be friends! wink )

18. profile image0
    Ana Louisposted 15 years ago

@shadesbreth
    Your hubs are great and I love your style.
    Rome was't built in a day.

I love hubbing, but struggle to post on a regular basis and it has taken forever for me to figure out some to the simplist things.  I'm moving forward though and if "stuff" will stop interrupting me, I might hub a little faster and a little better.

I'm hanging there, and that is hard at my age, but "somewhere over the rainbow dreams really do come true," and "if you build it they will come," so "may the force be with you" shadesbreath, and one day you can say, "show me the money"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)