jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Naming Photos

1. bogerk profile image86
    bogerkposted 5 years ago

I had read in a Hub about "How to Increase Traffic" where the author had suggested naming your photos so they appear in Google Image searches and link to your Hub.

I'm wondering how exactly you "name" a photo, or was the author just referring to the Caption for the photo or the Photo Capsule title?

2. KCC Big Country profile image82
    KCC Big Countryposted 5 years ago

Yes, put a caption. I highly recommend it as well.  There was a forum thread not too long ago where people put their top 5 search sources and Google images was in my top 5.  It's just one more way folks can find you.

1. bogerk profile image86
      bogerkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just a caption? Sounds easy enough.

Thanks for the help!

3. KCC Big Country profile image82
    KCC Big Countryposted 5 years ago

A caption with keywords you'd expect someone to look for that would make your hub something they'd want to see.  It's as important as the title of your hub.

4. andyoz profile image86
    andyozposted 5 years ago

I had never thought of this, makes sense though, very helpful tip!

5. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

Yeah, great tip.  More re-editing to do.  But so much good info comes out of  forum posts.

6. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

I hate to throw water on the fire here, but in my experience, traffic coming from Google Images is not going to make you any money, for the most part. Okay--maybe a few pennies here or there on impression-based ads. But it's generally just bad traffic.

I just went back through Analytics from Jan 1st of this year until yesterday. Google Images traffic had the lowest time on page of any traffic source, and they're not the ones clicking on ads. I see the same thing on my blogs.

Bad, bad traffic -- unless you're looking for traffic just for the sake of having it. smile

1. saleheensblog profile image62
      saleheensblogposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If we are not gaining anything at least we are not loosing anything though bad traffic means chance of more plagiarism.

I still suggest a keyword rich photo caption.

2. 0
      Donna Ferrierposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I give photo credit on all of the photos, complete with the name of the photo, name of the photographer, where I got the photo, and if I have a link to the photo, I put that in there, too. Most of my photos are purchased from iStockPhoto, and what I don't get there, I get at Wikipedia.

On one of my hubs that I wrote over the summer I think it was, I bought a photo that either the photographer, a friend of the photographer, or one of his customers must have seen because people found my hub partly because of the photo I used, and the reason I know that is because one of the keywords searched for was the photographer's name. So, believe it or not, having a photo taken by someone else on a hub can draw traffic. Whether they read the hub or not, I don't know, but I just know from firsthand experience that it can draw traffic.

3. KCC Big Country profile image82
      KCC Big Countryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Getting the traffic is half the battle.  You're right, it may not entice a click or an Amazon purchase, but it sure won't if they never find your hub in the first place.  All traffic is good traffic in my book.