jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Should I do it?

1. Fluffymetal profile image77
    Fluffymetalposted 5 years ago

I have been given the opportunity to move from Texas to Portland.  My partner and friend will be getting a large back pay and agrees to pay a years rent if I pay utilities.  We will both be on disability.  I am a 33 year old female. He is a gorgeous young man. I'm currently in San Antonio doing nothing with my life, but living with my alcoholic father.... I mean come on!

1. trish1048 profile image81
      trish1048posted 5 years ago in reply to this

What happens after a year?  What will you and he do once you move there?  Do either of you have friends or family where you're going?  Is this just an escape in the hopes of 'once I move everything will be alright'?  Just remember, no matter where you go, there you are.  There is no magic bullet that will make life better.

I say follow your gut.  The heart doesn't always know what's best for you.  Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

2. simeonvisser profile image86
    simeonvisserposted 5 years ago

Follow your heart. You know all those little details that are not part of the bigger picture that you described. If you want to move on in life and no longer live with your alcoholic father, go for it. The best decisions are often the hardest to make but you must make them. If the situation looks good, do it. You can always change your situation if you no longer like it.

3. rmcrayne profile image95
    rmcrayneposted 5 years ago

Portland Oregon?  Portland Maine?  It would make a huge difference in those utilities.  My sister moved from Portland Maine to San Antonio to live with me. She was in a relationship of several years that soured.  My father, brother and I footed the bill for her move.  Like most things in life, sounds like a gamble.  How lucky do you feel?

4. Pearldiver profile image85
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

Your biggest problem will be whether or not Wordscribe lets you publish from her neck of the Oregon woods! And if that's the only problem, then I think you will find a friend there in Laura!
    Your man is telling you that it's time to get a different life.. clearly he has a vested interest... and foresight smile

When do you leave? hmm

5. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to me!
    I would move to Portland in a HEARTBEAT!
    Especially with a gorgeous man.
    You could always move back if your dad needs you. Then again, without you there to help him,maybe, just maybe he will get sober (I know, MM's answer to anything and everything that ails anyone lol)
    Good luck and don't forget to hub about your big move!

6. wyanjen profile image87
    wyanjenposted 5 years ago

Cliché advice, but:

You wont regret the things you do - only the things  you didnt do

If it doesnt work out, you can always go back smile

7. travelespresso profile image82
    travelespressoposted 5 years ago

Do what feels right for you FM.  Life's regrets are often about missed opportunities.  Good luck with the decision making the big ones are very difficult to make.

8. Randy Godwin profile image94
    Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago

They have the very best cement there!

9. Fluffymetal profile image77
    Fluffymetalposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the insight... it is very helpful. smile