jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Blogging as a business

1. Enni82 profile image83
    Enni82posted 6 years ago

I'm still new to hubpages so I apologize if this question has already been asked. I haven't had the time to search the forums throughly. Over holidays I was wondering if any fulltime hubbers/bloggers own their own business. The reason I ask is that by writing from home one essentially uses their home office for business and can technically deduct things like internet connection and even rent as a business expense at tax time. I think to do this one has to actually own a business like a LLC. Can anyone provide any insight?

2. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

I work as a full-time home-based freelancer. I am able to deduct a portion of my expenses, like Internet, etc., but there are a number of IRS rules about it. I haven't had to form an LLC.

3. Bill Manning profile image72
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

I don't have an LLC but I know I can deduct home expenses as I work at home. However some of them I avoid even though I have the right to because they raise red flags.

Irohner, did you read in my other thread how I'm not getting emails in my contact link?

I never got the one you sent, so please use the contact form in my tourist site you can find on my profile. Thanks. smile

1. lrohner profile image85
      lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'll drop you an email right now.

2. lrohner profile image85
      lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Work-at-home expenses usually do raise red flags, and you can take that from someone whose Dad worked for the IRS for 40 years. smile

But...I make the deductions reasonable, I don't try to pad things and I don't fear audits -- so I do take the deductions.

1. Enni82 profile image83
        Enni82posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the info!

working