Copyright Issues and Questions

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. N. Ramius profile image72
    N. Ramiusposted 13 years ago

So I haven't been active much on HubPages lately but I did decide to check my hubs and see if my hubs had been copied. I found five verbatim copies across the web. I want thoughts on how to handle them as each situation is different:

Situation 1:

The first was a product hub. The thief has a keyword targeted domain ending in .net and copied everything including the amazon pictures and price, but they are just pictures. Generic Wordpress theme but privacy policy mentions AdSense though there is none on site now. So question #1: Should I file a DMCA now or wait till he has AdSense and then complain to Google before filing a DMCA?

Situation 2:

Not sure how he did it but somehow framed the hub so it has ads all around it. It has everything you would see when you normally click a hub including headings, comments and ads. All the links are live and normal, but it's got an orange frame at the top and side with more Google Ads. Question #2: I'm going to report the site but is there any possibility I would be affected since it has so many ad units now on site? The orange ads are his but I don't know about the ads normally appearing in hub. Any chance Google will trouble me if I report? And how did he do this anyway?

Situation 3:

At a question and answer site, someone copied my hub verbatim as an answer but left a direct back link to my hub. There is one ad at the top of the page but otherwise nothing. Question #3: Any harm in leaving this site alone? I got a free back link and it's duplicate content so their site should never be able to outrank me? What's worst case if I leave it alone?

Situation 4:

I found parts of my hub on 5z5, an RSS submission site. It looks like someone copied my hub to their Blogger blog and then submitted it and all their other articles as an RSS submission. When you follow the link back to the source - the Blogger blog, it says the blog cannot be found. Question 4: Since the blog is gone do I need to do anything with the RSS site or feed or will it eventually disappear on its own? If I do need to do something, what would I do?

Situation 5:

Described in a post I made the other day. Some Algerian site stole my hub, placed ads, yada yada and offer no easy way of contact as it is in French. Curse you French!

And finally my last question:

When you sign or fill out a DMCA letter, do you have to put your real name or will the pseudonym I use on HubPages work? I have the feeling it's going to be my real name.

2. Edweirdo profile image84
    Edweirdoposted 13 years ago

Hi N. Ramius - Good to see you're back!

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you found these duplicates using HubDefender - there are tools there that can help you deal with most of these problems!

For #1, Adsense should not be an issue. Google doesn't own the Internet, and there are other entities that you can address when it comes to DMCA and removal notices. You can send a DMCA to the blog's web host.

For #2, is the site in question the same as one of those mentioned in this forum thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/62312 ?

If so, then it may not be an actual "copy" of your hub. You can contact the poster of that thread to fix the situation.

If it's another site, then just follow the normal DMCA/removal notice procedure.

#3 - IMHO a fully copied hub with a backlink to the original is not a good thing! Stealing your content in its entirety and then pointing back to it is still stealing!

#4 - Is this a copy of your whole hub, or just a snippet from that hub? In other words, on HubDefender, does it show up as Red? In general, RSS copies usually consist of a paragraph or two followed by a link back to the original. These are often valid backlinks and are to be expected when searching for duplicates

#5 - Even if the site is in French, the tools at HubDefender can tell you who the ISP is. If it is a U.S. company then they are bound by the DMCA and must act if you file a complaint. Even if it isn't a U.S.-based ISP there's a good chance that they will still honor a DMCA request for removal.

And yes, you must use your real name and other info when filing a DMCA request. To do otherwise is actually a crime under U.S. law!

Again, assuming you are using HubDefender, just click on the duplicate search results and look for the link for "Create a Cease and Desist Letter" and/or "Create a DMCA Request" under each one. These links will help you find out who the appropriate contacts are, and there are fill-in forms that will generate the letters so that you can copy and paste them into an email.

Hope that helps!

3. N. Ramius profile image72

Yes I used HubDefender. Came across it by chance and saw it was free. Very useful tool which I wouldn't have used if you didn't have it for free.

For #2, here is the site:
    http://www. deperu.com/web.php?sitioweb=hubpages.com/hub/Kids-Trampoline

How do I handle reporting this??

For #4, it shows up red in HubDefender. Link is:

5z5.com/News/?739f54225c22e1a9

The source blog seems to have taken my article as their own, then submitted it to the RSS feed as part of his collection and then his blogger Blog got disabled but my content still appears in the feed.

1. Edweirdo profile image84
      Edweirdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For the deperu.com I would recommend using the HubDefender tools to find the ISP and send a Cease & Desist or DMCA notice

For the 5z5 one, if it only contains a link to a dead blog, then there's really not much you can do...

4. N. Ramius profile image72

For #2, would your report to Google or the ISP?

What is the best way to file copyright with a foreign site with foreign hosting like this one: http://www. dzblog.net/bx123 ? Will sites respond if I send my complaint in English?

It's surprising but I seem to attract a low level of copy theft. I've never had to deal with these issues before.

You can file complaints with Google and the ISP at the same time, and whichever one responds first will take care of it.

You can also request that Google de-index duplicate content if you cannot get it removed from the site where it has been published.

I haven't done this myself, but there are lots of de-indexing complaints listed at chillingeffects.org - see this one for an example: http://chillingeffects.org/dmca512c/not … ceID=52429

In it, Fox asks Google to de-index links that point to sites that have stolen their copyrighted content...

And I would assume that complaints in English will work, but if you know another language that is appropriate then that can't hurt!

5. N. Ramius profile image72

How do you get an RSS feed to pull stolen content?

Obviously the blogger stole the content originally to post on his site and then submitted his RSS feed to feeder sites.

If the blog ends up being canceled due to infringement will the RSS feed one day reflect that? If not, how can I have the RSS feed fix the issue to remove the duplicate content which doesn't help me in any way.

I don't know that the feed can be dealt with - it's probably an automated feed that isn't actually under anyone's control, so I don't know who you would contact to "fix" it.

If the blog is unpublished the RSS feed may eventually die out, but I'm not sure...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)