jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Queensland Floods - more signals of Climate Change

1. barryrutherford profile image37
    barryrutherfordposted 5 years ago

Queensland Australia my current home State is in the grip  of the worse floods on record.

About 1,000 people in Queensland have been evacuated, including the entire population of the town of Theodore.

The government has declared Theodore and two other towns in the region to be disaster zones, and forecasters say the floods have not yet peaked.

The cost of the damage is expected to top AU$1bn (£650m), including massive losses of sunflower and cotton crops.

Coal and other mineral exports will be also affected.

Army Black Hawk helicopters evacuated the 300 residents of Theodore, where every building in the town apart from the police station has been flooded, local media reported.
    The floods are expected to remain for a week or longer because of the onging imput of water from upstream catchment areas.  This has ongoing health issues for health concerns  water contaminations and infestation of Mosquitoes are already posing a problem

Is this along with record snowfall in New York and record freezing temperatures in Ireland showing the probable costs of doing nothing much about Climate Change ?

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

I live in Queensland too. smile

I have had a few old people at work commenting on how the weather is "going back to the way it used to be".

Where I live used to see heaps of rain and fog. These days it rarely does. So how do you know that it's not actually going back to the way things were?

3. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I saw a bit about about the floods in Queensland on Spanish TV news. It looked awful!
    My heartfelt sympathies go to those affected.

4. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years ago

Climate has long cycles. It goes up and down. Much of what is seen as the result of climate change today is actually just the normal ebb and flow of these cycles.

I do not dispute that there is climate change as a result of man's activity. I don't care about the climate change as I'd rather the earth heat up than go along to the next ice age which is where it is heading. In other words, it's delaying the approach of an ice age.

What I am concerned about is the pollution. We will pollute ourselves to death, use up all our resources and then die off as a species...

5. barryrutherford profile image37
    barryrutherfordposted 5 years ago

more varied and higher instances of weather variability were predicited when I closely followed the Science a couple of years ago

By the way I just see the town of Emerald the river has just hit a height of 16.2 metres