Approve Comments, but Disallow hyperlinks

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

It there a way we can allow comments and at the same time "Disallow" the hyperlink?  Especially for the non-members of Hubpages.

Sometimes the comments are OK to allow, but I may not want the link on my page, especially when multiple links on multiple hubs are the same.

I know I could just Deny the comment, but at times would like to allow comment but not the link added.

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know that feeling. We talked about a way for authors to edit comments, but that has some potential issues by altering the meaning of the comment. One way to handle it is to just strip out links or give authors that control. How would you do it?

Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello Paul. I would suggest let Author strip the links from comments if possible without the editing of comments.  It seems that some have the link with their username instead of writing it out in the comment. Those are the ones I dislike the most.

2. yenajeon profile image69
        yenajeonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Would it be possible for the author to have access to just the link feature? Perhaps somehow we can click on a link/unlink type of button. I don't know if that is possible though, because that gives us access to alter their "name" right?

3. Edweirdo profile image84
        Edweirdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Since outgoing links in comments are no-follow (right?) then it should be a simple matter of allowing the text of the link without actually creating the HTML <a> tag.

In other words, de-link all outgoing links within a comment automatically.

That way, if the link is valuable, it is simple enough for someone to copy & paste it if they want to follow it.

Having an active no-follow link is of little use to anyone but spammers looking for a low-level backlink (IMHO)...

2. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

Here is an image of the link that I would personally like to see removed. If we can remove links in the text inside the comment then that is better.
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4340685_f248.jpg

Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I haven't had any issue with HP active members and links. Just comes from those who sign-up to spam and think they are getting links back to themselves.
      I have noticed they mostly go to my older Hubs to post these.

Ex.-Last year's football hubs was hit by one person and was commenting on those articles as though they were this year. Duh.

3. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I get lots of questions on some of my how-to hubs but sometimes they have a link in their name I don't particular want on the comments.  If the question seems genuine, or particularly informative, I simply copy and paste the comment excluding the link.  I do always tell the commenter the reason for doing this.

1. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do this, too, but I would prefer to able to just 'disable' the link or something.

4. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I think the option to remove links would be a good way to go, but it should be a feature that is not automatic and used on a case by case basis.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I'm giving this a bump since it seems to be an ongoing issue of what to do with links left in comments. I would love to see a feature such as Michael has suggested.

6. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

I have had this problem all too recently, and am not sure what the answer is to it. I am thinking that the authors should be allowed to determine if they want comments containing links allowed or disallowed on their hubs. I find it is as much of a problem with internal links as external ones, and often the internal links posted in the comments are not even relevant to the hub topic they were posted on.

It seems some newbies are under the impression that using comment sections on other hubbers hubs in order to promote (and link to) their own hubs as part of the comment, is actively encouraged here on Hubpages!!

I have started a thread on this problem prior to being told about this thread. The thread is here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/65847

7. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

I believe it will be better to give them an option to just remove links instead of giving full control over editing hubs.

Sometimes I receive comments where people just write anything instead of complete URL, this gives broken links to the hubs.

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I disagree. If a person did you a favor of writing a comment you find valuable enough to stay, you owe them. Either deny the whole comment, or leave the link intact. smile

Broken links is another story, this would have certainly been useful. smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmm, I don't follow your comment. an author writes an article and receives a comment and now owes the person? A thank you is always appreciated, but I think the author has a right whether to leave a link that was not asked for. There are many hubbers here who do not acknowledge comments at all.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Any commenter contributes to your hub:

1. freshness
        2. content

If you find that a particular contribution is not good enough to justify a link, just deny the comment completely. Otherwise you are getting something for nothing, which will likely work on a short term basis but likely gonna hurt in the long run. Internet is very much "i rub your back, you rub mine" thingy, you know. If you don't rub other backs, don't expect yours to be rubbed either. smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess we have somewhat different perspectives on this. I do allow links if I feel it is related to the subject and may help another reader, but I don't feel receiving a comment, with having an option to deny a link, is getting something for nothing. I would hope in most instances that the reader is commenting because the hub helped or informed them in some way. If they are commenting only to place a link, I see no reason to accept it.

I do see what you're saying, though. smile

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just out of interest though Misha, what would you suggest if the person writes a sentence or so giving an actual opinion of your hub's content, but then says at the end of the comment something like 'you might also like this' and links to a hub of their own that has no relevant content to your hub's topic? Would it not seem impolite to lose their entire comment, i.e. you didn't value their opinion, when actually you just didn't feel their link was relevant? I would prefer the option to simply remove their link and allow their comment, that way they might still gain fans who follow the hyperlink within their hubber name and 'follow' them as a result.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For me to consider a second link in the same comment it has to be much better than what you just described. But certainly I will consider leaving the comment intact if it adds enough value and link is relevant enough, solely in my discretion. Otherwise I don't waste my time - it is not my job to teach them. smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that Misha. It sounds like you think somewhat like I do on this. Certainly I don't mind the comment a hubber leaves having their name automatically linked to their Hubber Profile, it is the links they add to their own hubs that bug me, especially if the topic is totally unrelated to the topic of my hub.
          If the comment and the link are relevant, and as you say they 'add value' I may well leave the comment in place and not delete them though.

Thanks for replying smile

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

You are always welcome Cindy smile

10. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

If it helps at all, I just received a response from Hubpages as to my query on Hubbers posting links to their own hubs in the comments section of fellow hubber's hubs:

"You have not misunderstood the rules.  It is indeed against the rules to post a link to your own Hub in the Comments section of another person's Hub, unless the link is crucial to understanding said comment.  Thank you for emailing the newer Hubber and please don't worry about their response."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)