The Politics of ‘Being Nice” – Political Correctness

1. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years ago

A few years back a relative I hadn’t seen for a while came to visit. Her almost opening words were, “Gosh, you look dreadful. You’ve put on a lot of weight.” I was delighted!

“I thought so,” I replied.

Later, my two friends that had witnessed the conversation were unanimous in their support of me and told me that I wasn’t fat at all and that I looked just fine and what a nasty piece of work my relative was. It was then that I decided I didn’t want or need friends like that. One was about 40 lbs overweight and the other morbidly obese – about 100 lbs overweight.

I lost the weight in two or three months, as well as some nagging health issues, and breathed a sigh of relief that my South African relative had not been bitten by the, ‘Don’t tell the truth because you’ll hurt her feelings,” bug.

When I was seven or eight years old, I remember a teacher explaining to us that when one hurt, that was a sign that one had to fix something up. If it was physical, we needed to go to a doctor, and if our feelings were hurt, we had to fix the character fault that caused the bad feelings. I have never forgotten that advise and have lived with it my entire life.

Unhappily, during the last three or four decades, the trend to build up the self esteem of students has led not only to many being unable to deal with reality, but to the inability to separate fact from fiction.

The world has become an increasingly difficult place to live in for those that live by the old rules.

We now live in a society where the semiliterate think they are capable of writing a book, the press feed the populace celebrity news because it’s easy to digest, superstition grows by the minute, and idiocracy has begun its rule. … p;index=20

1. EmpressFelicity profile image83
      EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've been thinking this for the last twenty years.  Join the club.

Although I don't buy into Ayn Rand's political ideas, I must say that when I read Atlas Shrugged I was TOTALLY in sympathy with the people who wanted to opt out of a world that was getting increasingly stupid.

Based on this trailer, I think the plot of this film is a direct steal from a book by C. M. Kornbluth and Frederick Pohl called "The Marching Morons".

1. 0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I saw the movie about two years ago. It's frightening because it takes so much of what is happening today and weaves it right in there!