jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Question regarding traffic during the holidays

1. The Baking Guru profile image60
    The Baking Guruposted 6 years ago

Hi,

I have a question.  The traffic to my hubs was really picking up for a while up until the holidays.  Then, for about the past week and a half or so, I've hardly had any traffic at all.  Is that normal during the holidays? 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
    The Baking Guru

2. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

That would largely depend on what your hubs are about.  Think about it.  If your topics are things that people would be searching for during the holidays, your traffic might be through the roof.  If your topics are about summertime activities you could expect the traffic to be low.   Because we all write about a million different topics, it's hard to compare one person's results to another.

As they say.....results may vary.

The Baking Guruposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi KCC Big Country,

That makes sense.  Most of my hubs are about cooking and recipes, especially desserts.  Maybe that's why everything picked up the week before Christmas?  I was getting dozens of hits a day on one of my chocolate cake recipes the week before Christmas.  Now, I'm lucky if I get a handful of hits on the same recipe.

1. Mikeydoes profile image79
        Mikeydoesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm sure so many people gained weight over the holidays they are all looking for ways to lose weight now!

The last thing I need to do is bake a cake! No need to worry, they will gradually gain views. Good luck!

3. KCC Big Country profile image83

Yup....recipe hubs will spike around every holiday that involves food.  What I do, is change the titles to reflect each holiday.  It doesn't change the URL, but I'm ok with that. 

It's going to be tough (in my opinion) to keep a steady flow of traffic with recipes alone unless you find something thousands of people look up every day.

4. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

I'm sure KCC is absolutely right.  Most of my hubs are on home improvement and those all fell off badly in November and are just now recovering.

My sales hubs, on the other hand, picked up in Nov and began falling off just before Christmas.  Only 4 amazon sales since Wed. before Christmas.

My total traffic went down considerably from before Thanksgiving to now - they recovered a little during this week and fell again over Friday and Saturday, but are picking up again today.

I have exactly one recipe (a pie) and it was funny to see it spike just before Thanksgiving and Christmas.

5. KCC Big Country profile image83

Wilderness, I would expect you to see a spike in your home improvement hubs right after people get their income tax refunds and springtime into summer.  That's when people often think about doing those sort of things.

On your pie recipe, you can modify your text (and title if you want) to mention Easter and hopefully, you'll see a spike again then.

6. Peter-Jan Celis profile image59
    Peter-Jan Celisposted 6 years ago

I also had a big drop in traffic and earnings in the last weeks of December.

In fact, about 50% of my december income was made in the first week.

Will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

7. sam24354 profile image61
    sam24354posted 6 years ago

Traffic will always decline in the holidays, unless you are an ecommerce site and the holiday is cyber monday.  other than that you can count on people, yes even the cyber addicts, to be spending time with family and friends and not on the internet

The Baking Guruposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi,

Thank you all for such wonderful advice!  I'm sure most people won't  want to be near any type of dessert for at least a little while.  I think I will try changing the text in my hubs and perhaps publishing some healthy recipes.  I have a few non-food hubs and a few more in the works.  I think I will focus on those for a bit and see what happens!

working