What Improvements do you think can be made here?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Okay, granted this is last year's oscar hubs, but seeing as how the official nominations are out soon.  I'd like to know what changes you think i should make for this year's oscar predictions format.  any and all advice is appreciated.

by the way, in case some of you noticed, yes i did close down the voting polls on these hubs a while back.  besides, it would be kind of silly to keep them going forever anyway.  however, polls will still be a part of this year's oscar hubs.  if you guys can make any suggestions, then it'll be appreciated. 

http://hubpages.com/hub/Oscar-Predictio … ns-of-2010

http://hubpages.com/hub/Oscar-Predictio … 010-part-2

http://hubpages.com/hub/Oscar-Results-of-2010

2. profile image0

i guess nobody has any ideas?

3. profile image0

okay, i chalk this up to that either nobody cares OR you guys are saying that last year's format was perfect.  Therefore, there's no need for this year's format to be any different.  thanks a lot hubbers. big_smile

4. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

It's only been half a day and it's New Years weekend. Could be that a lot of folks just aren't back into the swing of things yet?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You obviously must've missed my dry sarcastic humor when i made my last statement.  oh well.

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't miss the sarcasm. I was suggesting a reason why there are no responses.

1. profile image0

Oh okay.  Yeah, you could be right, as I didn't think about that.  Sorry.  It's just Oscar season to me is always like Christmas to me more so than the actual holiday itself.  lol.  Kind of funny when you think about it.

5. profile image0

bumps

1. Darrke Thoughts profile image59
      Darrke Thoughtsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Looks really good to me.  I was wondering why you didn't have an amazon capsule with the movies, but maybe not available on DVD yet?

The layout and writing all look good like they are. I tend to prefer most of the pictures/videos to the side.  The oscar winners was a little overwhelming with so many full sized shots, but that's a personal preference so I'm not sure that would help anything.

You got a lot of good comments at the time too.  Is there something you want to change in your results?

1. profile image0

Well to be honest, i'm trying to be somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to these types of hubs, so I'm trying to think of any and all ways that I can improve from the previous year if I can.  That's why I appreciate the input, as I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind when i start to work on it.

6. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I don't usually give suggestions because I feel the layout of a hub is a personal choice. (except in the case of sales oriented hubs, or keywords, or money makers, ya know?)  But since you asked....

I like the photo slideshow at the top (I still haven't figured out how to do it!!).

I'd suggest alternating sides with the text & photo capsules (and making use of the blue background to add interest - lmmartin's writing series is an excellent example of what I mean) while making each category a separate capsule.  (to allow a strip of google ads in between, to break it up some) 

I also think it'd make more sense to have the polls at the end of the capsules rather than at the top.

When are the Oscars?  I enjoy watching them, even if I don't care too much about who wins.

1. profile image0

Those are some great suggestions Rafini and darrke thoughts, as I do appreciate the great advice.  how do you add the blue background and alternate the sides between the text and photos though?  as far as i know, i thought you could only add stuff to the right side of the texts.

oh by the way, Rafini if you want to add a slideshow to your hub that contains 5 pics or more, then just click on setting while your in the edit mode of working on one of your hubs. from there you should be able to click on a box saying that you want the photos to be linked a slideshow.  anyways, thanks again guys for the advice, as i do appreciate it a lot. smile

edit: Oh I also forgot to mention that the awards won't be until february 27, but the nominations will be announced on january 25.

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not too sure how to get the text and photos switched, but I've seen it done (so far it hasn't worked too well for me, but I"ve seen it done well on other hubs like lmmartin and shazwellyn)  The blue background is an option only when the text capsule (I think it has to be text) is aligned right. 

I'll try the slideshow option again, and I'll be looking forward to your Oscar Hubs. smile

1. profile image0

Oh okay. I'll definitely look into it then.  Thanks Rafini.  I really do appreciate the advice. smile  Hopefully, you'll like the hubs when they're finished.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)