jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Buying Friends and Paying for Popularity

1. J Sunhawk profile image82
    J Sunhawkposted 5 years ago

I just read another Hub about paying people to comment on your You Tube account or Twitter account.

Yesterday I read a story about a company the will send 10, 100, 1,000 people to leave comments on your blog, Twitter account, etc. Pay up and abracadabra! Instant followers.

Buying friends and popularity. Good grief!

Then I ran across an unusual Hub page. The Hubber had made two comments, had a score of 78 and there were 534 comments on his one and only hub.

How prevalent is this stuff?

It makes me doubt the entire social networking community. Now I wonder if it even pays to join You Tube or Twitter. Is it a waste of time?

1. Quilligrapher profile image88
      Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Comments on hubs don't generate revenue, ad-clicks do.  The world is full of scam artists trying to beat the system.

2. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 5 years ago in reply to this

those 534 comments may have been links to sites the writer was promoting

sounds like someone was using automated software and perhaps testing or didnt know what they were doing

unless  the hub was really good and on just the right topic?

- paying to "populate" a website, youtube profile , forum etc. has purposes usually to make the brand seem successful or to make a new site seems old.

Its pretty well proven that the illusion of popularity has an effect on web visitors, no one wants to hang out in a ghost town etc..

in short - the "why" is not as transparent as "buying friends and followers"

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 5 years ago

Hmmm...what's the going rate for a friend these days? I have a couple I might want to sell. lol

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

if you use them right, along with Facebook, they're fine and can be helpful.

I can't speak for the other stuff (paying people to post) because I don't get caught up in that part of social networking. 
    I think there must be many who live their entire lives in a digital daze. hmm

4. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 5 years ago

You can get a huge amount of comments if a hub becomes high traffic smile

I have never paid for social media traffic because social media traffic is so low value.