jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Does "cleaning up" my html raise hubscore?

1. Jule Romans profile image88
    Jule Romansposted 6 years ago

Just wondering. I know VERY LITTLE about html, but when I looked at the HTML editor, it was a mess! So i used the cleanup button and it looked much better.

I did this throughout the text capsules in several hubs. I figure it's a good thing to do, anyway-- less garbage is always good, right?

2. lrohner profile image86
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Maybe I'm confused here, but I don't believe you can change the HTML in the capsules.

3. Edweirdo profile image94
    Edweirdoposted 6 years ago

You can modify the HTML within limits - I wrote a hub about it of you want to see what all you can do...

As for cleaning it up - should not have an effect on anything. Computers ignore "whitespace" when rendering HTML in web pages, so cleaning it up only makes it easier for human readability...

1. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think this is the Hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Use-The- … t-Capsules .

If it's not the right one, it's still a very useful one!

4. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

Outwith HubPages, where you have access to the HTML, clean semantic code does have its benefits. Removing tables that have been used to control layout for example can substantially improve download times on slow connections and mobile devices.  Along with improved accessibility there are also minor SEO benefits in reducing download time.  And it does make the code easier to read should you need to update it in the future.

There is little you can do with HubPages which is probably a good thing otherwise every other page would have a different font, background etc. and would just end up looking like another MySpace.

1. Aficionada profile image92
      Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Off-topic, I know, but what does "Outwith HubPages" mean?  Is this an expression that is common in areas of the world or the US where I have not been?  I am always fascinated by words and their usage.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image85
        Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Outside or not including.

Thanks, Peter.  I would love to know the origin of that.  It sounds something like "without" reversed - somewhat like calling someone a "standup" guy where many people would say "upstanding."

Can anyone say what parts of the world use that word? [outwith]

5. thisisoli profile image58
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Never really thought about it, suppose it could have minor benefits. I always asumed that hubpages kept it's code pretty clean anyway since it mostly automates the coding.

6. rebekahELLE profile image90
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

what changes did you see in appearance?
    I've never thought about using it.

7. Jule Romans profile image88
    Jule Romansposted 6 years ago

I think what is most interesting is that there is NO change in appearance. I'm no programmer, but I know for sure that the coding I see when I press the html button on some of my text capsules is REALLY BAD.  I am guessing that it comes from copy-pasting text without stripping it.

This is an actual example. All I did was replace the words.

<p><i>regular text of my hub that I wrote</i></p><ul><li><h2><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u><i><u> regular text of my hub that I wrote</u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></u></i></h2></li></ul><p><b>

I figure,that can't be good for ANYONE! :-)

So I click the cleanup button and re-save the capsule.

8. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

Aficionada,

have a look at http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/outwith

Thanks so much!

working