jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How much is a rare limited edition vinyl LP worth?

1. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 5 years ago

Sound of One by me under my real name of Steve Andrews was released as a limited edition of 500 on the German Very Good Records label in 1997 as a vinyl LP that is now very difficult to get hold of but a small number in as new condition have been found in Germany and sent over to me by the former owner of the label. The 14 songs are Jungle Love, Superhero, Reality Song, Real Love and Communication, Raga Rock, Priest of the Venusians, Citizen of Earth, Insect Inside, Kingfisher, Peter, Always Look So Fine, Ten of Cups, Cariad Jyngl (Jungle Love in Welsh)and the title track.

Whilst it is great having some copies of my album again to sell I haven't a clue what to ask for them and can't even remember what they sold for back in 97. Suggestions please!

1. wilbury4 profile image84
      wilbury4posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Steve/Bard,
      Just done a search on this album and found two for sale, basic @ £12 - £16... but a VGC one with the picture sleeve is asking £165. See here http://www.musicstack.com/album/steve_a … und_of_one
      Seems you will have to do some research on your own album, good luck, Wil.

2. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 5 years ago

Thanks for that, Wil! You see why I have a problem knowing what to ask! The copies I have really are as new and unplayed and I can sign them too so I am reluctant to sell for very little but at the same point want to raise some money!

1. wilbury4 profile image84
      wilbury4posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Your situation could be classed as a dilemma!
      You want to keep the albums because they are a part of your life, your history, your memories... but you need to make some cash and selling the albums, reluctantly, could do just that.
      Sunforged suggestion of auctioning them is a good possibility, where or how I wouldn't know, you would need a gathering of interested buyers, set a reserve price though.
      If I were in your position; You state that you have 'some copies' so you have more than two? I personally would keep at least one, possibly two as keepsakes (a good talking point in a conversation etc), and sell the rest.

3. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

when researching the price of an item , the asking prices you see listed are mostly irrelevant, the only worthwhile guide is what people have actually bought the item for.

I would suggest an auction that you promoted to your fan base.

After the auction is completed you will have an accurate assessment of its market value and can then sell the rest of your stock.