jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

RRS Feed/Backlinking

1. Sarah Masson profile image79
    Sarah Massonposted 5 years ago

Okay so I have read a lot about both of these but they still aren't making complete sense to me. I know there's a lot more that I need to know but I'm not getting anywhere. I don't understand how to use them etc. I don't understand half the lingo used on here lol so can someone please help smile

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Backlinks and RSS feeds have a lot in common. Both contain links back to your hubs. Both can give you some direct traffic, and help improve the search engine position for your hubs, which in turn may lead to even more traffic.

The main difference is the manner of building them. Responsible backlinking happens organically, perhaps also by creating links slowly one at a time on blogs, external websites, social bookmarking sites etc. RSS feeds enable you to spread the links very quickly through RSS submission sites.

Another important difference is that RSS feeds can update links automatically. If you publish new hubs within a given category, the RSS feed will automatically show the latest entries. Conventional backlinks have no such automation, so each time you publish new hubs you will have to go build some more links.

You may also be interested to know that not everyone believes in backlinking strategies, which they find cumbersome, artificial and ethically dubious. Such hubbers rely on that sufficient links will be built organically over time when readers link to hubs they find interesting.

If you want a backlinking strategy, you will want to target your effort and observe the etiquette for responsible backlinking, which also applies to RSS feeds.

3. Sarah Masson profile image79
    Sarah Massonposted 5 years ago

Thanks heaps for the infomation smile

4. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

You are welcome. Feel free to post any follow-up questions here, anytime.

5. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

RSS feeds and backlinking are two very different things. A backlink is simply a link from another website back to your hub. Although you can think of it as a marker on a map leading people to your hub, it's really used more to get the attention of the search engines.

An RSS feed is basically automatic updates of pages posted to a website. If you had a hub on the Olympic games, for instance, you could add an RSS feed (via the RSS capsule) that shows the latest posts on the official Olympic site. Since it's a feed, it would update automatically when new pages are added. You can use an RSS feed from an external site or for anyone's hubs or tags here on HubPages, including your own.

So...a backlink is static and an RSS feed is dynamic. An RSS feed can also provide backlinks, but backlinks are not RSS feeds. Clear as mud? smile

Backlinks are not a bad thing, as some may have you believe. While having other sites find your information compelling to the point of them linking to you is a good thing, there are other ways to generate backlinks responsibly.

Sarah Massonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oh I see, so with the RSS capsule what exactly do you put in there or how do you use it?

1. lrohner profile image84
        lrohnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Let's say you wanted to create an RSS feed of your latest/best/hot hubs. You would simply use:

If you wanted to create an RSS feed that showed all the hubs on HP regardless of who the author is with the tag "dog," you would use:

http://hubpages.com/tag/dog/latest/?rss (substitute hot or best for latest)

Read this hub by Edweirdo for other ways to use RSS feeds internally:  http://hubpages.com/hub/Promote-Your-Ol … -RSS-Feeds

RSS feeds help to keep fresh "content" on your hub since the information keeps changing. If I'm looking for an external source for a feed, I usually just Google "RSS (subject)."

So in the example I gave before, if you Google "RSS feed olympic games," you'll see a bunch of sites returned. For example's sake, click on the NYTimes one. Scroll down until you see the orange RSS button and click on that. Just grab the URL of the page that comes up and use that in your RSS capsule.

Sarah Massonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Okay thanks so much for your help, I appreciate it smile

6. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

Good luck!

7. shimmering Dawn profile image83
    shimmering Dawnposted 5 years ago

wow this thread is so helpful..thanks from me too!

Can someone tell me what are RSS submission sites and how to use them?

1. 0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Check out this recent thread, especially the posts by TerryGl, who mentions what site he is using: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/62162

Here are the forum search results for such RSS submission sites (RSS aggregators): http://hubpages.com/search/include:foru … aggregator

There is also an informative thread on where to backlink: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/35169

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Here is an excellent hub by Sunforged on that subject:

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I should point out:

That specific article at the time of creation was hands down the best list of rss sites available on the web.

Sounds immodest?

It was created by aggregating the first 10 pages of google and master lists of rss sites from rss submission software. Every list I discovered previously was filled with out of date services that do not exist. (and the majority of the hubs I encountered were just lesser carbon copies of those same lists)

Additionally, each is linked directly to the submission page (rather than to the homepage as you will find on lists derived by lazier compilers, sometimes the submission pages take some digging otherwise)

Furthermore, the sites have been peer reviewed by members of the 60dc's who would make us aware when sites no longer worked or in some way changed their submission policy.

My Point?

Help to keep it the best resource out there, if you use the list, let me know if a sites submission policy changes or you come upon some resource not listed.

Enjoy - its amazing how powerful rss feeds can be, especially used in conjunction with twitter and social profiles that allow rss posting.

8. shimmering Dawn profile image83
    shimmering Dawnposted 5 years ago

Thank you Website Examiner and Wilderness I sure will smile