jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Thank you, Stephen Spielberg...

1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago

"People have forgotten how to tell a story. Stories don't have a middle or an end any more. They usually have a beginning that never stops beginning."
    Steven Spielberg

I keep saying that people don't know how to tell stories anymore, that most of the writing out there is boring, incomplete,etc. I'm glad to see that the maestro of story tellers gets where I'm coming from!!!

smile

2. Aya Katz profile image89
    Aya Katzposted 6 years ago

People still know how to tell stories with a beginning, a middle and an end. But if they want to get published in a literary magazine, they had better forget that they know it.

1. Flightkeeper profile image78
      Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol That bad Aya? Good thing I never tried to write for a literary mag.

2. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Aya, Yes, you're right. But as far as I'm concerned, only the ignorant and the pretentious want to get published in a literary magazine. Very few buy them.

The public has spoken!

1. Aya Katz profile image89
        Aya Katzposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sophia Angelique, I'm certainly not trying that route anymore, but it used to be "common knowledge" that in order to get a literary agent to represent you to an established publisher, it helped to have some literary mag publications under your belt. Never mind that hardly anyone reads that stuff. The public also rarely reads self-published novels, so the reasoning was, "you had to give a little to get a little."

That is not a functioning paradigm any longer, though.

1. profile image0
          Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No...

There are other routes now. In about 2002, I edited a Ph.D dissertatlion on the publishing industry, what it had been, what it was at that time, what it would become. He was incredibly prophetic.

Eventually, it will be about a 50/50 divide, with the best of self-publishing being about as good as the best the industry.

It's a way to go...

working