jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How does HP handle duplicate Content?

1. wealthseeker profile image61
    wealthseekerposted 5 years ago

I have seen, some new and some not so new hubbers have duplicate content on copyscape. That could mean one of the;

1. Either they have taken their own article from thier site.
    2. Someone else have stolen the content
    3. They have stolen the content

How does HP approve some of such articles, I thought it was not okay. Did I miss something?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You missed nothing.
      #3-- This is a bad no-no and they could get banned.
      #2-- They can take action against the thief.
      #1-- They can post their own material that appears on another site, but it is probably rated down by HubPages. It is not recommended to do this  as a general rule. I have a couple of such articles-- but they are not on highly rated sites and I wanted to share them here. My choice. Not a big deal.

OK KCC-- I put this up before you elaborated. Good answer!

1. KCC Big Country profile image83
        KCC Big Countryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sorry.......I was afraid I wouldn't quote it correctly, so I posted what I had and then went back and edited it.

2. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 5 years ago

HP scans for duplicate content and flags it.  They provide a link to the duplicate so that the hubber can check it out. 

This is straight from the HP Help section:

Your Hub's content has been detected on another site and has incurred a HubScore penalty as a result. Only you can see the alert message at the top of your Hub.

You are allowed to post content on HubPages that is also published elsewhere, like your own site or blog—but you may not place any promotional links on that Hub.  That being said, a pattern of publishing duplicate content will negatively affect your HubScore, as we prefer to reward authors who publish content unique to HubPages. Please note that it does not matter whether or not you are the original author of this content.

Your Hub may also be moderated for duplicate content in cases where we determine there is substantial similarity to another work. This includes close paraphrasing, among other forms of misappropriation or copying of content.

If your Hub is truly unique to HubPages, you can request a review of the Hub by contacting us. An exception is typically granted only when quoting is done to a minimum, or some commonly-used, public domain, or historical phrases have triggered the duplicate content detector. If your Hub has been certified as original by an administrator, a notification signifying so will appear at the top of the Hub. Once certified as original, no HubScore penalty will be applied.

3. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 5 years ago

repeat offenders are shot. Survivors are shot again.