jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Cool guidelines on legally using and linking back to flickr photos

1. Ann Smith profile image61
    Ann Smithposted 8 years ago

Hey everyone and Happy Sunday (now not just a day of the week but also Nicole Kidman's daughter's name)!

I have been curious about legally using photos of celebrities and have found this helpful blog I wanted to share with you. 

I have been playing around with its suggestions for the Firefox add-on and script, and can get the code.  However, when I place the code in the PHOTO capsule, it will not pull the picture or create a link, and when I place the code in the TEXT capsule, it will create the link back to the owner of the photo but not pull the picture......  Hmmmmm........ I tried manually downloading and then uploading a picture, and then placing a text capsule right under it with the code inserted to link back to the owner, etc.  It kind of works but then there is a big gap between the photo capsule and text capsule.

Any suggestions?  Hope you find these guidelines from this blog helpful.

http://www.dazzlindonna.com/blog/2008/0 … kr-photos/

2. thranax profile image59
    thranaxposted 8 years ago

You can write a Caption on the picture with the link etc. If the link doesn't make a link you need to use a link or test capsule under it or next to it.

The last alternative you might find interesting is get the link to it and make it a tinyurl and put the tinyurl under it, if people want to visit it they can type it themselves, thats why tinyurl was invented, to make it so people can type what they need instead of click (or to share links in papers, business cards, etc)

Say you have a picture of a red ball. This is how simple it is:

1. get the link: http://www.flicker.com/photo/tgh1000/red_ball
    2. go to www.tinyurl.com
    3. insert the link into the box and hit "Make Tiny Url"
    3a. you can now customize the domain. just go to the box and type in "Red_Ball"
    4. you get your link: Tinyurl.com/tys9s
    or you get your custom link: Tinyurl.com/red_ball

Hope this helps!

3. Ann Smith profile image61

Thank you for the information on tinyurl.com . That's really cool!  Anyway I could make that url an actual link, but as a caption so it fits nicely under the picture?  Thanks again!

4. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 8 years ago

You're going to NOT want to use tinyurl.com on your hubs.  They are read by the system as "wildcards" since you're cloaking a link, and it's a great way to trigger the "overly promotional" filter.

5. Ann Smith profile image61

Thanks for the second piece of advice warning not to use tinyurl!  ;-)

Just found a hub that covers the flickr part as well.  I should have known it existed!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Free-Stock-Phot … r-Websites

6. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Embitca's solution (using the link in the caption) is good because it shows the link right under the photo, but the link isn't clickable. 

I'm not sure whether it's acceptable, but I always put my acknowledgments at the end of the Hub, e.g. "photo courtesy of ....... on Flickr", then I create a link to their Photostream.

7. 0
    Popular Wealthposted 8 years ago

Celebrities rarely own the copyright to photos of themselves, the copyright usually goes to the photographer. If you snap a picture at a restaurant or other public place, it's all yours to do as you wish.

Just don't make false claims about the picture or write anything that isn't true about the celebrity or they'll have grounds to sue for defamation.

Flickr creative commons licensed celebrity photos are fair game for everyone, I just saw a good one of Stallone too.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Yes, just make sure you credit the photographer.