jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

My most boring hub yet !

1. Midnight Oil profile image91
    Midnight Oilposted 5 years ago

Yes, with a massive four page views in three days, and three of them was probably my mother, I present my most boring hub ever...

Top Tips for Calling Financial Call Centres

http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-Tips-for-Ca … ll-Centres

Can it be improved or should I officially pronounce it dead?   wink

Although, much to my surprise, the one Hub I though would be of the least interesting, is rocketing ahead of the all others...  Let's Build a Temporary Garden Railroad

http://hubpages.com/hub/Build-a-Tempora … n-Railroad

1. Pandoras Box profile image81
      Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I tried reading the garden trains one, and it looked good from what I saw. Too bad there are huge flashy-bright ads in the sidebar, which truly offended my eyes, so I left.

But in truth what I saw looked good (besides the really bad ads). Maybe add a video if you can find a good one.

1. Midnight Oil profile image91
        Midnight Oilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the feedback, its the other Hub,  Top Tips for Calling Financial Call Centres which is terminally boring case....

2. Pandoras Box profile image81
    Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago

Yeh that one sounds dull as heck. smile But I'll take a peek. I feel bad about the ad comment.

That said, I went back to the trains hub, and I do have a suggestion, which may or may not be useful. I'm not sure what the experts would say.

BUT.. At the end of your hub you have all of your amazon and ebay modules, as well as your links and RSS.

I don't know what the experts would say, but I think that by placing all of it down there at the bottom like that it makes it all very dismissable, you know? Like people reach the end of the article, see all the ads and links and figure they can skip the rest.

I always put them to the right of my text. I like to have some up top, to let people looking to buy know they can do that through my page. But not like right at the top. I've never tried that, though I've heard people say you should.

I always leave the top right space for google ads, personally. It just takes away trying to decide which to put there on a per hub basis, sales ads or google ads.

So. In short. I would eliminate the top picture so that a google ad will appear at the top right instead of below it.

Below that, directly in fact, I would put a few of those ebay ads, and intersperse those throughout your hub, between your images.

At the bottom, put all your remaining amazon and ebay thingies to the right. You can repeat things if necessary.

For your RSS change it to only show 1 sentence descriptions. This will keep your hub from being bogged down with text and keywords which aren't its focus.

I always put it -when I use it- last, to the left, with my final (and often repeated) sales ads to the rights.

Move the outbound links to way below the comments section. You really don't want anyone clicking on those.

Also it may help if you can add a news feed below the comments section as well. Put in model trains or model train shows or something. You can play with it to see what's coming up.

The news feed is really just to keep your content freshly updating, which google likes. So you put it below the comments, or midway through your text in a side bar or something, point being on the page but not anywhere where your viewers would be likely to click it. Just like your outbound links.

Hope that all helps.

3. Pandoras Box profile image81
    Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago

On the Call center one I actually really like the small top picture followed by the ad. I think that really does look nice, and I just learned something from you.

I've always heard putting the ad very top right, but I like the break provided by the small-sized picture, and I'm not sure the small amount of space makes a huge diff.

Again I don't know if the experts would agree, especially since this hub is monetized via adsense only. That top right spot is supposed to be prime real estate, not to wasted on images. But it does look good that way, and the image is small, so...

I dunno.

The Do's and Don'ts might look nice in bold and in a gray sidebar alongside the lower part of your text, before the RSS and poll.

Again at the bottom you finish your article and then post everything else. The poll and RSS feed. Limit the RSS feed to one sentence descriptions, and maybe put the poll on the right side of the RSS so it doesn't look all so dismissable-stuff-at-the-end-of-an-article.

A news feed may help keep your content fresher seeming to google, as I said in above post, but I don't know what you'd put into that one. Call center news doesn't seem real likely, but maybe you can think of something.

Good luck!

4. Midnight Oil profile image91
    Midnight Oilposted 5 years ago

Blimey - thank you very much for the exhaustive review - it was very helpful and insightful.  I will be making some changes very soon - thank you, thank you, thank you xxxx