jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

dmoz.org

1. miss_jkim profile image80
    miss_jkimposted 6 years ago

Has anyone used this open directory / search engine? If so please let me know the pros and cons and what success rate you have had.

Thanks!

1. yenajeon profile image81
      yenajeonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's a free directory so there's nothing bad about submitting your website. Also, it has a very good page rank. Depending on your  site, it'll take them 1-7 days to submit.

(I've submitted my personal website)

1. Mike Dale profile image79
        Mike Daleposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Have they sped things up recently? Years ago it was easy to get listed. But due to high volume and using all volunteers, I've heard it can take months to get listed, if ever.

Submitting is always a good idea. But I've heard it can take a long time.

edit: None of my sites have been listed yet, and they were submitted over a year ago.

miss_jkimposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wow, sorry you haven't had anything listed. I went ahead and filled out the application. Like you said, it's free. I guess I'll see how it goes, if it goes.

Thanks for your response.

2. lender3212000 profile image86
    lender3212000posted 6 years ago

They are pretty much a lost cause these days, unfortunately they rarely update their directory with new listings. Doesn't hurt to submit and would be beneficial if you got in but I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it.

Thank you for the info, this helps a lot.

3. yenajeon profile image81
    yenajeonposted 6 years ago

I had no idea it had changed so much. But it is now an open directory that works in conjunction with aol. And yes, they do remove sites very rapidly and add them very rarely now. sad

Thank you for the info, this helps a lot.

4. jaydennia04 profile image61
    jaydennia04posted 6 years ago

oh cool

5. jaydennia04 profile image61
    jaydennia04posted 6 years ago

cool

6. thisisoli profile image55
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

It's pretty hard to get in, I only have three sites in there.  You can apply but I think you should bear in mind the following.

Is your site specific?
    Is your site regularly udated?
    Make sure your site is NOT under construction
    Do you own the domain.

working