jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Less offensive curse words in your Hubs

1. Jordan Hemmann profile image60
    Jordan Hemmannposted 5 years ago

How do you guys feel about using words such as "ass" and "damn" within your Hubs? Do you think that flagging would be necessary?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not at all, nothing wrong with using those words.

2. Pandoras Box profile image82
      Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ass, damn and hell should be fine I'd think, unless it's like flagrant overuse. I'd avoid the harsher terms myself.

There is a term I'd really like to use for a blog, it would be a very catchy title term that would perfectly set a theme for a niche I'd like to cover.

But I figure Google would dump me if I tried it.

The less harsh words used judiciously shouldn't be a problem.

3. 0
      Baileybearposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. AshleyRB profile image61
    AshleyRBposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't flag it, but at the same time I would shy away from using the words on hubs myself. In general I don't really cuss unless I'm mad, though.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

I think within limits low level everyday natural cursing is fine.  In a written piece it should actually be lower than everyday life, depending on your normal manner of speaking of course.  But as a stress word or language flow I think it is perfectly reasonable.

More than a couple of times though and it begins to be tiresome.  Plus, I would like anyone, any age to be able to read one of my hubs and not be offended by over the top swearing.

1. Pandoras Box profile image82
      Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yep, what he said.

4. Jordan Hemmann profile image60
    Jordan Hemmannposted 5 years ago

Thanks! I appreciate all of your thoughts.

5. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

You have to remember that this is a Google Adsense site - and it's not what we find offensive that matters. Some verbiage is best put on sites that aren't adsense related. Honestly, I wouldn't use any of them. There are topics that I would love to write about on hubs, but I don't. I stay well within the bounds of adsense propriety.

If you lose your adsense account, it is usually for life.

6. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 5 years ago

To me, if you "need" to use swear words in a Hub, you are getting off into the realm of personal and subjective content and not writing something objective and useful to a reader.

7. Flightkeeper profile image80
    Flightkeeperposted 5 years ago

I agree with Ewbie. If it goes with the hub, I think it's fine.  If it's some kind of stylistic pretense, forget it.