Looks like we're in for a rare winter storm. Snow 2-8 in.

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (24 posts)
  1. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Well, for the first time in 2 years, we are getting a snow. Yep, that's right, snow in the deep south. Been a while.....now they say up to 8 in. possible.  I expect 4 in. where I live, a little south from the main band. 

So everybody freaks out and goes to Walmart and raids the shelves. For what? It's only gonna be for a day or 2. Heck, I hafta go to work in it. If I get a crisis call for a mental crisis screening, I hafta go no matter what.  Oh well, somebody has to do it. May as well be me.

So who else is in this band of snow/ice?

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Don't think we'll get any, but North GA is supposed to get 6-10 inches. Cordele, which is 40 miles north of here, is supposed to get freezing rain and snow, too.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes this makes me happy, because when we had our beautiful 2-day long Christmas snow, I was really, really sick.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you in GA??

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
          Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am. We're an hour north of Atlanta. We've got quite a few inches now, and it looks like we'll be building snowmen in the morning.

I know northern Atlanta is getting it good as well.

3. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

So you must be south Georgia?  Beware, it could hit you.  I'm gonna give Sport extra hay tomorrow, he'll need it.  Livestock here have a nice barn, luckily.  They say everything north of
    I-20 to get a good covering. Oh well, we'll deal with it.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I'm in South GA. I would love to get some snow! I could do without the ice, though. Guess I'll be heading to Wally world to get milk, bread, and sandwich meat - just in case we get ice and have a power outage. We have lots of limbs.

4. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

I don't see it happening at all. There seems to be a little rain ban in southern LA right now with a bigger one behind it in Texas. There is some frozen junk up in the Missouri area looks like it might be headed a bit southeast.

I never understand why everyone freaks out so bad. It never lasts long, well except that one time back when we were without power for a week in the '70's but really where is this supposed to come from? Ok other than the sky, lol. I know that much.

5. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

So, what's a little snow?

Hey - wait a minute!!  Give us our snow back!!

(we lost all ours New Years weekend when it was 40 degrees out!)

6. evvy_09 profile image60
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

It did snow pretty good on Christmas.  I'm probaly going to have to work in it on Monday.  Figures it'll snow when I come off my vacation.
    We went to Wal-mart today to buy some splitters for my computer and it's crazy.  Went ahead and grabbed some sandwich stuff to last a couple days in case the power does go out.  Only bread left was bagels and sourdough.  So pb&j bagels it is!
    I'm not worried.  If the power does go out like it did, 8 or so years ago, for a week I have a bunch of meat in the freezer I can cook after setting something on fire.  (that last was a joke I do have a grill)

7. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! As long as no Ice, let it snow.

We are expected to get the brunt of the snow in Arkansas where I am at.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the weather prediction said that it will snow today, I am still waiting for it here in North Tx

2. donotfear profile image83
      donotfearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Michael, it's sleeting now pretty heavy.  It's 9:22 AM Sunday morning.  The radar doesn't show much snow...only ice. Yikes!  And I'm on call today. Hope I dont' have to go out in this crap. I live 23 miles from major city.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
        Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope you get more snow than ice! Especially since you live so far out.

OH! And as in your pic..."Why do you wear a Lyme Green Helmet?"

8. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

well the radar seems to have changed since last night. looks like a nice patch of frozen stuff coming across alabama at the moment and headed straight for us.

9. kmackey32 profile image66
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I lived in North Carolina about 10 years ago and I found it really strange if it snowed everyone ran to the store and purchaed all the milk and bread...lmao

10. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

Definitely started to snow way earlier than predicted and we will get more snow than predicted. Already around 7 inches and still coming down. Expected to last until midnight forecasted.

11. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

I live in the snow!!  Almost year round.  Snow begins in late September/early October and finally melts away for the year in mid-May.  smile

1. KCC Big Country profile image83
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just reading your post makes me shiver.  I was telling my daughter just an hour or two ago when we were out in the cold, "I wish we could move further south where it's warmer".  LOL  I'm in Texas, but I need to be closer to the equator.  I hate cold!

2. ediggity profile image59
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You must get really cold wearing that bikini all the time.lol

12. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

And I'm gonna go find that sweet potato thread and your question. I don't know if you replayed it in that other thread or not, but I'm not going back there. I'm behind enough.

I'll find the old thread.

13. evvy_09 profile image60
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

It's snowing alot here. I have snow past my ankles.  I let my dogs out and my border collie was hopping around in the snow.  So cute. 
    Now the weather report said to expect 8 to 12 inches.  So weird.  I should go make sure I'm still in upper bama

14. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

it is snowing at Dallas yoohoo!

15. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Guys, can you please keep the snow down there? We've already got a foot of snow on the ground from earlier storms, and now we're set to get another foot from that storm you've got starting tomorrow night. Ick.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)