jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

1. 59
    Teeboy1posted 5 years ago

I just got a reception mail from a literary agent, they state that if i wish to send my manuscript, please what do i do?

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm assuming you sent them a query or proposal for a manuscript, or they would not have asked to see it.

So, if it is an agency that you have done some research on and know to be reputable, send your manuscript.

Here's some things to watch for:

1. DO NOT PAY THEM ANYTHING - Legitimate agents do not charge any kind of fees. They don't have "reading fees" or "supply fees" or any charges for copying, mailing, postage or anything else.  If they ask you to pay for ANYTHING, at all, they are thieves looking to harvest money from you because they know how bad you want to be published.

2. Editing "Service" - If they tell you "WOW, your stuff is really good... BUT, it needs some professional editing first," what will be coming shortly after that is their pitch to edit it or "recommend" someone they "work with all the time." Then they will give you a list of all the books they've had published that used their service. It's crap. Don't do it. You want to pay an editor, fine, it's your money, but find one on your own.

3. "We'll publish it for you" - If they offer you some sort of publishing service, and you "only have to pay" some fee for set up etc., they are trying to take your money. There are lots of self-publishing sites out there, so if you are going to self publish, do some research and find one you like.

The bottom line is, real agents make money by selling your book and getting paid a percentage off of what you make. They usually get around 15%. This is a fair deal, since they can get you going as a writer and do your legal work and international stuff, leaving you free to write.  If they try to take money from you up front, they are proving that they don't really believe they can sell your book and make money FOR YOU BOTH.

Don't let your dreams of becoming published blind you to the fact a lot of thieves are ready to exploit your dreams. Be smart. Be disciplined. Writing a book is art, but selling it is business. So think like it.

Good luck.

2. rmcrayne profile image95
    rmcrayneposted 5 years ago

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  Check it out further.

3. 59
    Teeboy1posted 5 years ago

@Shadesbreath....thanks for the clue it is really going to be useful. Thanks everybody