How are you dealing with this freezing thing? Why is that...........

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (44 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JASON NICHOLSposted 13 years ago

Why is that suddenly in each and every part of the world is freezing like never before? The scientest had predectied that the temp will increase in south and fall in north. But these day's the temp is increasing day by day and it's snowing too!

Its freezing and snowing in the whole of america! Schools, colleges, offices all are closed. You can't see a thing in this dense fog! In britian and england its snowing and the temp is below minus 5 degree and decreasing! Last year the temp was normal and increasing little then normal and ice at the north and south poles were melting and now we are freezing!

How are you deling with this? Can you tell us some tips? What is the temp at your place?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4399988_f248.jpg

1. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We've had the coldest days since records began I think, certainly the worst in 40 years.

I live on the West Coast of Scotland and normally we get that lovely Gulf Stream from across the Atlantic which keeps the temperature up just a little bit. But I think the Americans and/or Mexicans are holding onto it this winter. LOL.

How do I survive? Porridge for breakfast (I'm not kiddin, I really do eat porridge now) and boil up a large pot of soup every week.

2. brimancandy profile image78
      brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only reason people think this is not the norm, is because weather is reported form more sources than it was 50 years ago. Go back 50 years, do you think someone living in New York City would care what the weather is like in Austrailia or in Africa? Today you can get that information in a matter of seconds over the internet, where as 50 years ago you wouldn't even hear about it. Unless it was a devastating hurricane or something like that.

People who keep an eye on the weather have all kinds of theories about how the earth's climate is changing, and they argue with each other about it just as much as people fight over which religion is accurate. Nobody is ever going to be 100 percent right when it comes to the weather.

I'll bet if they do some searching through records they would find a colder day then the one that they currently claim is the most cold, hot, dry or most rainy on record. The only reason they can make so many claims on recent weather is because they have more access to weather records than ever before. If they went back 200 years, do you think they would find the amount of info they have today?

I think the whole global warming thing is a joke. If the earth has been around for millions of years, how can scientists believe they can predict anything, on just a few centuries of  weather records. It would be different if they could just get 1 day 100 percent right. They can't even do that.

3. Dorsi profile image88
      Dorsiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe we have reached a tipping point in our climate. Not a told you sort of thing at all but I wrote about this 4 years or so ago on my MySpace blog.
      Global warming actually will cause us to enter into an ice-age, which I believe we are now seeing the start of.
      Also, there is a magnetic pole shift occurring. Latest news and studies reaffirms this.
      The birds and fish dying in mass could be caused by both - off the hook weather changes and possibly navigation problems because of the electro-magnetic changes (birds are very sensitive and use magnetics for navigating) Evidence of this are our compasses are off. Just last week Tampa Bay airport had to renumber their runways because of the magnetic pole shift.
      Not to plug my own hubs but they are relevant to this post and good reading for those pondering these changes:
      I also believe that we could see abrupt climate change happening:
      More here on it:

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Tipping-Poi … -No-Return

http://hubpages.com/hub/End-of-the-Worl … s-and-Fish

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

luckily I live far enough south that the freezing temps are not too often, but we did have frost a couple of weeks ago.

today is it 68 F, rainy, with a flock of birds in the yard.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Keep warm.
    Eat well and pretty much hang in ,much like they do downunder whens its Winter time smile

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  Hibernating here.  Kinda.  big_smile

2. profile image0
      JASON NICHOLSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Eaglekiwi and Brenda! Ok so...

1: Eat well and hang in.
      2: Do a lot of hibernating, LOL!

Anything else?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep pretty much,chill out ( lol ) and catch up on other things like 'pampering and primping, cuddlin an snugglin smile

1. Woman Of Courage profile image62
          Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Eaglekiwi, Do you have a Snuggie? smile

Hi W.O.C
            No snuggie for me,seems like my internal a/c unit powers up and keeps me warm ,when I least expect it,too bad God didnt make us with a lil light to warn of pending flash of heat lol

1. andromida profile image54
              andromidaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad to see you once again.How are you doing?

2. Woman Of Courage profile image62

Eaglekiwi, You have a great sense of humor smile I don't don't care for the winter too much. I am easy to get cold.

lol W.O.C humor is my best friend and survival tool,always something (or someone) makes me smile. They either humble me ,or make me think they gotta be nuts lol

Aww sorry you feel the cold though ,bet yer like my sis ,feet like blocks of frozen ice.

Gosh just had a memory flash ( better than those 'power surges' lol. I was one of four little girls and for a time we shared a large double bed. Sometimes we topped an tailed ,sometimes 'spooned' and sometimes whoever got outta the bath first. Anyway we kept so warm and cosy and shared many a tale or two.
                Moral of the story though.

'bodyheat' wink

Eaglekiwi, Yes, your sister and I have something in common. I feel like a block of frozen ice when outside in the cold weather. big_smile It's good that you and your sisters stayed warm and cozy together. smile

4. Woman Of Courage profile image62
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

I love to keep warm as much as possible. big_smile  Cuddling and watching a good movie at home. smile

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you making use of those "Snuggies" you got for Christmas?   Or did you get one?  Ya know, the blanket-type with arm holes.  I got a blue one and a pink one too, so I'm all set! big_smile

Hi Brenda, Good for you! Actually I got a pink one before Christmas. big_smile

5. rebekahELLE profile image85

I know sometimes the thought of exercise when it's cold doesn't sound appealing, but it does help keep your internal body thermostat functioning well.
    even if you don't or can't go outside, some simple exercises inside will help keep you warm. moving around, if you have one of those big exercise balls, you can sit and jump while watching a movie.. or jog in place, do some stretching to keep flexible.

1. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're right. I was cold all day, but I went swimming about an hour ago, and now I'm feeling quite warm (swimming was actually the last thing I wanted to do in this weather, but it worked).

2. Woman Of Courage profile image62

rebekah, Great idea. I exercise on a stationary bike at least 3 times a week.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85

I live where it's warm for most of the year, but even when it's cold outside I take brisk walks and keep moving as much as possible.

Many years ago, when I lived up north, I used to jog daily.
    now I don't jog, but still am very active.

camlo, I hope you were swimming indoors?  I have a pool, but it's not heated, so no way am I going in the pool during the winter. But I do agree, it's great exercise!

one of my friends has one of those snugglies, she loves it.

1. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, it was a heated, indoor pool. It wasn't my idea, but a good one. We might go again tomorrow evening if there's time.

7. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I don't know if it is pollution of a big city or just a humidity issue but in Toronto even -8C feels like -20 with all that cold wind blowing from the Lake Ontario. The only solution - lots of good calories to eat, warm clothing and good night sleep. By the way I still cannot shake off my bad cold I was complaining last week, though I am back to work, I feel pretty lousy yet.

1. profile image0

Oh wow! So many ways to keep yourself warm in this cold days. Thanks guys! Love you all! Keep on posting:)

8. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

its not snowing here which is good, they have just issued rain warnings- good job I live on the top of a hill. How do we cope? better than before- life just goes on. Bought a pair of sheepskin lined boots, thick coat and get on with it. Funny enough I have found we dont have the heating on quite so much on warmer days it is as if our appreciation of what is cold has changed

9. evvy_09 profile image60
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

I usually dislike the cold very much but this snow brought me a extra day of vacation and I got to leave work early today. So yay on snow!

1. profile image0

Yep! Yay for now so go out and enjoy! "An extra day of vacation and got a leave from work early" Wow evvy, You are way toooo LUCKY!!!

10. warchild75 profile image64
    warchild75posted 13 years ago

Yeah it snowed twice last year in britain,luckily i live in the south so dont get hit as much as the rest of the country but still got at least 8-10inches of snow last year twice which brought the uk to a standstill.Unfortunatly i live very close to my work so dont need a car so no snow days for me!!sad

1. profile image0

Feeling sad for you my friend. You can't get to spend time with your family everyday in these cold days because you live very close to my work.
      But be happy and enjoy work. Who knows there may be a many snow days liying ahead for you:)

2. evvy_09 profile image60
      evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I live the closest to work so I'm usually the one who has to fill in for everyone else who can't make it.   Luckily they just shut the whole restuarant down monday because my car was buried.  I even got to call it a personal day so no short check.
      We ran out to take pictures of the snow  in the middle of the night,  glad I didn't ruin my boots.  Neither of us slept all that night either lol

11. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Currently in this part of the world, Melbourne, Australia, one of the coolest starts to summer for many years and one of the wettest in decades.

For eg, by the 3rd December we already got the monthly average fall. Average temperature has been down 6 degrees celsius, for the month.

1. profile image0

I also read about the disaterous floods in Australia due to the heavy rainfall.  I garantee you that you may be feeling very cold right now!
      Here in miami it's chilling cold! The water's cold so you can't even swim. I am shiverring and so i am not gonna step out of the house.
      I hope that the temp should increase at least 15 degree or so in austrila. So let's hope for the best!

12. andromida profile image54
    andromidaposted 13 years ago

Its pretty cold in my place as well.I think scientist predicts wrong about the heating of south pole. I guess the whole world will face extreme weather each year.

1. profile image0

Yes andromida, You are pretty much right. We all should prepare ourself's for these upcomming years and i do belive that these comming years will bring extreme weathers.

13. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

Makes me think that Global Warming is a scam. The Truth may be Global Freezing. !smile
    Best Regards

1. profile image0

Thanks SunSeven! There a lot more to come. So be prepared!

14. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

In Canada we usually have Global Warming in summer and Global Freezing in Winter.
    As usual, nothing new this year. Right now it is Global Freezing alright. big_smile

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here on the OR coast, it's practically spring. Geese didn't leave(?) Robins are still here(?) weird. Rain, rain, rain. Well, that's normal, but the other stuff is just weird.

15. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Here in Canada the temp shot up to -11 degrees today...

i can't stand the heat!

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Neither can I !
      After work straight to the beach!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4420929_f248.jpg

big_smile Just kid-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-ing!!!

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Been dipping to 32, but daytime, we're in the 40's w/ sunshine and rainbows (cause of that rain)

16. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

Its not freezing here!  This is my first winter ever away from Minnesota and I can say I do not miss it one bit!  I haven't even put on a winter coat.  The California's say its winter here and they have the puffy coats and wool hats on.  I'm still wearing a fall jacket smile

17. kmcmichael profile image70
    kmcmichaelposted 13 years ago

i live in Georgia and it's been crazy here! Everyone's been calling it Snowpocalypse 2011.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)