jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)

Comments Question

1. profile image0
    Donna Ferrierposted 6 years ago

Hey folks,

Do people who visit our hubs from the web have to sign up with Hub Pages in order to comment on one of our articles?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No, they don't. They can just type in their name, or a name and website. 

If they just type in their name, it shows black.  If they type in a website too, their name is in blue with a little arrow.

1. lyndre profile image81
        lyndreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Found this out when someone left this comment on my hub about Ibrox disaster.

IThink use should all remember Jock Stein helped victems in this tradjedy, but no doubt as soon as the silence is over you will start your BJK chants SCUM!.

The spelling was too funny to delete it lol

2. kschang profile image89
      kschangposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You can set it up to be so, but it would restrict the amount of feedback. By default anyone can leave a comment.

As for me, I rather enjoy the amount of hilarious feedback I get on my scam-busting hubs. It's funny reading some of these comments where these victims of a scam twist their own logic into a pretzel trying to defend the scam. :-D  I even used a couple of their comments in my other hubs.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

The default setting is that unregistered users can comment. This can be changed in each comments capsule.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93

Thanks WE, I didn't realize we had that option.  Although personally, I can't see any reason to discourage commenters.

3. Aya Katz profile image88
    Aya Katzposted 6 years ago

I don't want to discourage comments, either. It doesn't matter to me whether someone is a registered hubber or not. But lately I've been wondering whether their websites that they have linked to their name  count against me as outside links on that hub.

1. Imelleda profile image79
      Imelledaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I rarely leave those links intact unless I feel the website is something I want that article to be linked with. Otherwise they are just spammers, getting a free link from your hard work - without even asking if you want to link with their site.

You can also set each capsule to "moderate" - then only what you want to allow will be posted - that tends to get rid of some spammers.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93

I usually right-click to see what the site is - if it looks like something offensive, I'll deny it.  Otherwise I approve it, because (as I've explained before), the way the comment box is set up actually encourages it - so I don't think it's fair to punish people for something they've been invited to do.

1. Aya Katz profile image88
        Aya Katzposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Marisa, that's what I do, too, for the same reasons you gave. If it's something offensive, I deny the comment. If it seems fine and even on point, I allow it. But do the HP robots count this as one of our two "promotional" links?

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Links in comments are no-follow, and they do not count toward overly promotional.

By the way, there is no restriction on the amount of promotional links, as long as there are no more than two going to the same domain in each hub.

Website Examiner, thanks for the clarification! So, if the promotional link is to a different sponsor in the Linkshare program each time, you can have as many promotional links as you like on the same hub?

However, it doesn't seem that the links to the poster's website are no-follow. They work, when you click on them. Or does no-follow mean something else?

1. profile image0
              Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

As far as the number of links, we are talking about top-level domain, so if the sponsors are hosted on different domains, then they would not be prima facie overly promotional. If a moderator spots circumvention in a manual review, that could be an issue.

As far as no-follow, this is a piece of code essentially telling search engines to ignore the links. So the site that the links go to will receive little in terms of SEO benefits.

Thanks, Website Examiner. That clears everything up!

working