I have something excited to tell you.....

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (48 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I was going to wait until nearer the time, but in a couple of weeks I will be heading out to the USA.

Ultimately, I am going there because I want to go back to Las Vegas - me and the girlfriend went in 2008 whilst she was living in New York and had an incredible time (as you do, in Vegas).

I want to see as much of the world as possible however, I have a bit of a thirst for travel (well, I feel under travelled to be honest) so I had a look at multi-centre packages (I prefer buying package trips, you pay the mark up but you benefit from convenience and somebody to hold accountable if it all goes wrong).

In other words, I didn't just want to see Vegas, I wanted to see another city too. There were plenty of options, but I have seen a fair bit of the states already. The one which appealed to me most was San Francisco>Los Angeles>Las Vegas, but that would mean losing two nights from my Las Vegas trip (the whole point in going).

So I was left with a clear choice between Los Angeles>Las Vegas, or San Francisco>Las Vegas.

I plumped for San Francisco. And, as I am going to be in the area, it would be rude not to pop in and have a nosey around the Hubpages office.

I have a small checklist of things that I want to explore, investigative journalism, in order to produce a Hubpage about the experience. I want to:

1) Take a picture of the giant Hubpages logo.
    2) Try and accidentally bump into Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia.
    3) Try and get a photo of me with Jimmy Wales, when I bump into him accidentally.
    4) I want to see if Paul Edmondson is really really tall.
    5) I want to see if Maddie Ruud is really really short.
    6) If 4 & 5 turn out to be true, I want to get a little and large photo for the Hubpage.
    7) I want to check my Amazon earnings from a Hubpages computer, just because I won't know my sales figures for the 2 days prior.
    8) I want to present Paul Deeds with a newspaper cut out which shows that the UK has the largest internet spend per capita than any other country in the world. Just because it would probably annoy him a little, after I kicked up a fuss about Amazon localisation. If he looks really angry, I will run away.
    9) If I haven't run away by this point then I want to steal something with the Hubpages logo on it. Hopefully I will find a Hubpages branded pen or mousepad. I would try and steal the Hubpages sign, only that looks huge, I can't afford the excess baggage charges.

Does anybody have anything else that they think would benefit my Hubpage?

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Find the top-secret hubber score algorithm!

(And if they leave you unattended for a bit, turn off the facebook recommendations box.)

((Oh, oh! Permanently delete the political and religious forums!))

(((And I want a pen, too!)))

Enjoy your trip!

1. kirstenblog profile image77
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are going to be watching him like a hawk now, because of us! lol
        Hide your pens staff!! lol

1. Aficionada profile image79
          Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hahahaha, PB and kb!!! Ditto, ditto, ditto. lol lol lol

2. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  Buy an iPad. Best computer ever for traveling. 10-12 hour genuine battery life. You can even reach your home PC through it if you really want to. Not a toy!

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah right! This is a holiday! And that means my only 11 days without a computer in 2011, the only thing that I will have is a BlackBerry for emergencies - and it would cost me a fortune to use in the states so no surfing whatsoever. I am entirely internet free for the duration, no time for sitting around getting square eyes. I will take my old iPod for entertainment, nothing else!

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So buy the ipad here. You can tie into wifi hotspots wherever you are if you only need occasional access.

2. Pandoras Box profile image60

My husband does that. And he uses his iphone as a wifi station for it so he doesn't have to pay for additional service.

2. profile image0

Aaaarrggghhh what is wrong with me. I am cursed.

I have something exciting to tell you....

3. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

lol

4. profile image0

How did this thread fail so miserably?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

we were sleeping! smile

sounds like a fun trip!  while in SF, take a trip over into Marin county and take some pics. it's beautiful!

get a pic of Simone without her big bow.. and a few pics of the guys we never see..

5. Extinct Soul profile image61
    Extinct Soulposted 13 years ago

lol

6. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

Remember to get autographs too. And send postcards, that's important too. And pack a tooth brush. big_smile

1. profile image0

Autographs? Lol, in case Deeds and Edmondson are the bext Gates and Jobs?

Actually, hell, I should defo be getting pics with these guys... just in case.

The only famous person that I have a pic with is Gordon Ramsey as of yet!

7. profile image0

http://www.faqs.org/photo-dict/photofiles/list/9200/12547deflated_balloon.jpg

1. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most of the interesting people who would enjoy this thread are obviously else where right now, otherwise this thread should have gone nuclear.  I am excited for you. smile

1. profile image0
        zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm here, I'm here.
        I'll be looking forward to read all those exploits.
        It's a great idea sharing your trip.

8. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I think you should visit Florida!!

1. profile image0

Already done Florida, ticked off of my list!

Won't be heading back there until I have brats, for the theme parks!

9. WoodsmensPost profile image62
    WoodsmensPostposted 13 years ago

http://i45.tinypic.com/2akmw7o.jpg

10. simeonvisser profile image68
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

Great thread lol I'm looking forward to the hub that results from this!

11. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

or you could talk about life after the restraining order to stop you from stalking!  ;-)

***Runs to check the keyword research on Restraining Orders***

Have fun in SF!  It is a blast!

12. Mikeydoes profile image41
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I wish I had money to travel.

Funny thread.

I was going to say try Chicago and Navy Pier ETC. But it is way too cold right now.

1. profile image0

Believe it or not, I've already done that too!

And, it was also very cold when I went, there was still snow around and stuff! Not that the cold would affect me all that much, seeing as I live in the UK wink

13. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Sounds like you are going to have a blast! Would you steal me a pen too? lol

14. Spacey Gracey profile image38
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!!!!!!

For my honeymoon we flew to LA and stayed in Hollywood for a week, then drove to Las Vegas for a few nights, then to a little town called Mamouth Lakes for one night (July 4th), then up to San Fransisco for another 5 days.

It was fantastic. And cost about twice as much as our wedding smile

Please send me a really naff postcode of the Golden Gate bridge and a bag of fortune cookies from China Town.

15. prettydarkhorse profile image54
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Have fun Ryan! I can feel the excitement YOOHOO! I will definitely check your hub once it is there..post the pics!

16. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Have a video interview with Simone. There has not been a HubPages employee / HubPages writer interview as yet (the three interviews done are on the Blog), and wanted to know how REALLY big Simone's bow in her hair is, I hear it's as big as the HubPages sign outside the office.......

1. Pandoras Box profile image60

Hah!

17. Bill Manning profile image66
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I'm sure you'll have a good time in California. You started this thread when it's like 3:00 AM here in the states, which is why not many have responded yet.

In fact over in California it's still only around 5:30 AM. I heard they are getting lots of rain and storms right now however.

Yeah get down here to Florida again, I'll take you on a theme park tour! smile

18. tritrain profile image68
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

You'll probably be flying over Minnesota. 

Please wave as you go by!

I promise I'll wave back. smile

19. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Ryan, at Bellagio in Vegas is a restaurant called Picasso. It's where Steve Wynn keeps several of his Picasso paintings, and has a great atmosphere. It's very pricey, but instead of ordering a meal, go after dark and sit on the patio and get a table next to the fountain and order drinks. While there, make sure you have your server take pics of you as the fountain and music are going. You get some of the famous Vegas strip in the background, it's one of my most favorite things to do! I have a few cherished pics of friends and I and they are great memories.

If you have time, check out Spring Preserve on the west side of Vegas. I've been meaning to write a hub about it, but just don't have any time. It's a green space in the desert, and it's very cool. Make sure you head out to the west mountains and do a bit of hiking over at Red Rock. Unique and amazing geological formations!!

In SF, Pier 39 is a good place, with some good eats and shops there. If you can, rent a car and go to Napa Valley to wine country. It's rather spectacular no matter what time of year. It's one of my favorite places on the planet!

To the north of Vegas is Zion's National Park, which has some of the most amazing scenery in the country. A bit cold to do this time of year, but maybe another trip.

I'm jealous too!! I'm kind of overbooked with moving at present, then hitting Sundance Film Festival in a week or so.

Hope you have a fab time! Can't wait to read about it all!

20. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Ryan looking at when you posted I was asleep so that's my excuse for missing your thread.

I'd like to see if you can ask the Hub team one question (individually but the same question) and they all have to give a one sentence answer. You know - like a tagline.

A quote from the horses mouth.

And if not just make sure that Maddie bakes on your day of arrival. I reckon she makes top notch cookies smile

Have a great time when you get over there big_smile

21. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Ryan - I'm sure you'll visit all of the touristy things, like the Golden Gate Bridge, riding the cable cars, visiting Alcatraz (they have a night tour that's pretty cool), Fisherman's Wharf, lunch in Chinatown, blah, blah, blah.

But be sure to drive down Lombard Street, known as the crookedest street in the country and be SURE to head to Daly City just south of the city limits for dinner at Koi Palace -- absolutely the best dim sum in the world! smile

Get some pics of the sea lions that hang out at Pier 39 (they were gone for a while, but I'm pretty sure they're back). And if you have a free day, you should really take a drive up into California's wine country. It's just a couple of hours north of the city. Read my hub about it. Let me know if you're heading up there. I've been out of the biz for a while, but might be able to wrangle a private tour in one of the wineries or another.

22. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

This:

This:

This:

This:

And mostly this:

[What's a naff postcard?] - Don't forget to take an umbrella, JIC.  smile

1. Spacey Gracey profile image38
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Naff postcard would be a really cheesy or tacky one - nice picture of the Golden Gate bridge photo-shopped to look like it is made of blinging gold would do nicely.

23. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Or the golden gate bridge shown with Ryan running across it carrying a giant HubPages sign in his arms.

Okay now someone's gotta create that for us. I wanna see that.

24. Spacey Gracey profile image38
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

That would be great. Come on you graphically talented hubbers - where are you - mock us up a Ryan postcard.

25. matherese profile image60
    mathereseposted 13 years ago

I got excited when i saw you have something excited to tell us. To be honest I go disapointed as i think you need to publish it.

26. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I too would very much like to visit the Hubpages office....maybe once in the not too distant future....Good luck Ryan! Have already got a hubpages mug and t-shirt so a pen would do nicely! cheers!

27. sagebrush_mama profile image61
    sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years ago

Hope you have a great trip!

28. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Im surprised Paul and Maddie havent dropped in to this thread!

29. profile image0
    cookingdivaposted 13 years ago

In addition to your already fun filled trip here are a few more;

Have fun!
    Meet other hubbers from area!
    Check out golden gate bridge
    Fisherman's wharf, eat Ghiradeli chocolate
    go to mystery spot (south of SF), where gravity acts strange
    17 miles drive, pebble beach
    Alcatraz island ferry
    Bring your jacket, SF is always more cold
    Check out the foggy SF in early morning
    Take cable car drive
    Eat at hundreds of gourmet California cuisine restaurants

Have great fun! You'll love it. Vegas and LA is cool too.

1. profile image0

Cheers for this little checklist!

We are only in San Fran for 4 nights, Las Vegas for 5 nights, we are not doing LA.

I already had golden gate bridge, Alcatraz, the spare jacket, and the cable car down that windey street on the list.

Not enough time to eat at hundreds of restaurants but we will check out one or two! A friend has pointed us into the direction of a seafood restaurant on Fisherman's wharf, so we will be eating their after we disembark from the Alcatraz ferry.

We also have to eat at a Cheesecake Factory one night, as opposed to a posh restaurant, as my girlfiend was crazy for that stuff whilst living in America (we don't have those here).

We are going to take a hire car for one day to check out Napa Valley after a suggestion by another hubber above, so maybe if we wake early enough we can check out that beach.

I am much more excited about getting dazed and confused in Vegas, if I am 100% honest!

30. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 13 years ago

Wow! Just saw this thread. I love San Francisco, unfortunately, not used to the cold there smile.

Other than the places stated already in this thread, one of the places we visited there was the Japanese park. Also my cousin took me to a trip up a certain mountain where there is a nature park near the top (or at the top). Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the mountain but it's just outside San Francisco.

If you're in Napa, and you like the Godfather, suggest that you go to the winery owned by Francis Coppola where there is a mini - museum showing stuff used in his former movie and those of his nephew, Nicolas Cage as well.

31. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

The Hubpages team are great, I am sure you will have a really fun time!

SF was pretty cold in September, so you might want to wrap up!

Why are you not coming to Austin, the greatest city in America?

1. profile image0

I would love to go to Austin someday, however finances dictated that just the two stops were viable this time around smile There is the annual leave thing for my girlfriend!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)