jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Suggested Enhancement to Link Capsule

1. kschang profile image88
    kschangposted 6 years ago

This may be a bit difficult, but may result in more hits overall.

Would it be possible to make a more COMPLICATED link capsule, that has some intelligence to it?

For example, lets say I have a group of a dozen hubs. Three of them gets 90% of the hits. So I edit the link capsule to link to the other hubs within the group. However, whenever I add another hub I have to re-edit the links.

WHAT IF... the link capsule can do that for me? What if the link module will just pick the X hubs within that group that has the lowest hits, or the lowest hubscore, and so on? Or just randomly pick some of the other hubs within that group?

2. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 6 years ago

You can use the RSS capsule to achieve this.
    Best Regards

kschangposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sort of... sort of... It'll display duplicate links (i.e. itself), and it displays everything in the group, if I'm not mistaken.

1. Michael Willis profile image78
        Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not sure what you are actually wanting it to do, but the RSS capsule can be set to display your Hot, Best or Latest hubs. You can select the number to display.

I want the traffic that's coming to my hottest pages to be directed toward some of my "not so hot" pages automatically.

For more detailed response, see below as I explained why RSS doesn't do what I want in response to SunSeven

3. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 6 years ago

You can use rss in any of the following formats (add http: before the slashes):

//hubpages.com/author/sunseven/hot/?rss
    //hubpages.com/author/sunseven/latest/?rss
    //hubpages.com/author/sunseven/best/?rss

//hubpages.com/author/sunseven/automotive/hot?rss
    //hubpages.com/author/sunseven/automotive/latest?rss
    //hubpages.com/author/sunseven/automotive/best?rss

//hubpages.com/tag/sunseven/hot?rss
    //hubpages.com/tag/sunseven/latest?rss
    //hubpages.com/tag/sunseven/best?rss

Just replace username and tag/keyword

Not detailed enough or drills into subgroups.

I write in at least 6 different and unreleated topics. So the overall hot / latest / best won't help me.

I deal with a specific subtopic so the general tag doesn't help me either. For example, I write about Android phones, but I have two distinct groups of article there: one about app reviews, and one about general hints and tips. They all go under technology/communications/smart phones, but I can't filter like that. I can't do

//hubpages.com/author/kschang/technology/communications/smart%20phone/hot?rss

That gives me "page does not exist"

I can't do just 'technology" either. That gives me ONE hub, in my "random thoughts" group.

If RSS can do tags and so on, why can't it do article groups? I'm sure I can "hack" it by adding a specially named "group tag" to each of the group members, but Hubpages should be doing that automatically.

4. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 6 years ago

Do it manually with link capsule or create a customized rss feed. Simple

5. kschang profile image88
    kschangposted 6 years ago

Let me give an example

My hottest hub right now is

//hubpages.com/hub/Review-of-Free-Live-Wallpaper-for-Motorola-Droid (About 300 views a day)

I want to put a link module that drives traffic to other hubs in that group, such as:

//hubpages.com/hub/Review-of-3-free-Droid-camera-apps  (about 70 view)

//hubpages.com/hub/Android-Softkeyboard-Shootout-which-input-method-should-you-use (about 60 views)

//hubpages.com/hub/Must-Try-Wallpaper-Utilities-for-your-Android-Phones-such-as-Motorola-Droid (about 10 views)

and so on.

RSS doesn't help unless I modify every member of that group to have a special tag. I shouldn't have to. Group was already defined. Why not make that into an RSS feed also?

and even then RSS doesn't do "random 5 out of X" or "lowest hits out of X". It will only to hottest out of X or latest out of X. What about ability to sort or random?

6. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 6 years ago

well, good idea

Take of the stats of page views and links unless you want your hubs to be plagiarized. There are lots of thieves to copy your hubs.

I've reported a few. He-he-he.

working