jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

1. tvalle profile image59
    tvalleposted 5 years ago

I hate it when people use the phrase "that's retarded", or "your retarded"!  For those of you who like to use that phrase, I just want you to know that I have met many people who are mentally retarded.  The fascinated thing is that these people are very smart. 
    It is not their fault that they are mentally retarded.  Remember that no one is quite perfect not even you.
    Mentally retarded people can work in the job industry and a lot of these bright people can live on their own.  These special people also have a good sense of humor. 
    I am glad that we share this earth such special people.  We breathe the same air. We bleed the same blood. 
    Drop the phrase.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Sounds reasonable. smile

3. KristenGrace profile image61
    KristenGraceposted 5 years ago

Nice comment to share, and I appreciate that.

I'm a certified special education teacher, and one of the best things I learned is that people with mental retardation have many interests, hobbies and likes just like the rest of us, AND just like the rest of us, they can excel in ways of their own.  Just because they may struggle with division or fractions, does not mean they don't have a brilliant sense of humor smile

Also, I learned they are people before being labeled with a disability, therefore, they are "people with mental retardation," not retarded people.

Their exceptionality does not define them.

Thanks again for posting this!!! I hope it opens others' eyes.

4. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

That is just so plain ret....

How about that for a substitute word: Retrograded?

1. kmackey32 profile image81
      kmackey32posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I like it.....