jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is "overly promotional"?

1. CJStone profile image91
    CJStoneposted 8 years ago

I've just checked the FAQs and Jennifer Bowman's question on the subject, but I'm still not clear. I'm planning to sell books from my website and to write a hub about my work with a link to my site so that readers can buy books directly from me, rather than going through Amazon. Is this "overly promotional"?

2. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

The spirit of the idea is this:  (and this is just the way I see it - my personal opinion, not part of the FAQ )

If a hubpage is written and designed with the sole purpose of sending traffic and income elsewhere, it is considered overly promotional.

i.e. - you come in write a page, use the hubpages software, use the authority of the site etc, but do not wish to share any of the revenue from that page.

But the rules are pretty simple. No more than 2 links to the same domain in a single hubpage. And I think that is checked automatically because I had a couple of my motorcycle hubs come up with a warning - I was sending people to a specific model page on the Honda website after writing up each model, which meant lots of links to Honda.com

So as long as you stay within the rules......

3. kerryg profile image89
    kerrygposted 8 years ago

I agree with Mark. Maddie also has a useful resource about this: http://hubpages.com/hub/Overly-Promotional

My hubs have been flagged by the automatic system a few times for similar reasons to Mark's. So far I've been comfortable enough with the quality and relevance of my links and the usefulness of my hubs to ignore them and it hasn't come back to bite me yet.

4. tcnixon profile image80
    tcnixonposted 8 years ago

I just had this problem with a three hubs. I'm new, so I take it and fix it. Mostly I agree with their assessment. In one case, though, there was no fixing it to meet their specifications. I played with it for far too long and finally just gave up. Still believe I was right, in that case, and they were right in the others.

However, it's their court, so one needs to use their rules. And that's okay.