jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Why is the IP address of our computers posted in hubs comments?

1. brakel2 profile image88
    brakel2posted 5 years ago

I just noticed this. Is it new or has it always been there? What would be the reason for this posting?

1. kmackey32 profile image81
      kmackey32posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hmmmm. I must of missed that one....lol

2. simeonvisser profile image88
      simeonvisserposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This happens on practically every website on the internet but only admins can see it. Every forum post or contribution you make is usually stored together with your IP address, just to find the IP addresses that are causing trouble.

3. kschang profile image91
      kschangposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Only on the hubs YOU own. Nobody else sees it.

1. brakel2 profile image88
        brakel2posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Maybe it does not always show up, as this was the first time I noticed it. At least, only the writer can see it. Thanks for the info, everyone.

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

That is nothing new. IP addresses are recorded as a way of discouraging spam and abuse. So once someone has left a comment, you can do a reverse IP lookup and see their approximate location and more. HP can also block certain IP addresses.

Only you can see the IP addresses on your hubs.

1. 0
      ssaulposted 5 years ago in reply to this

sometimes its scary to know one IP address is out there for everyone to see

1. 0
        Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

True, although it cannot identify you individually. As far as privacy policies, IP addresses tend not to be treated as personal information.

3. darkside profile image85
    darksideposted 5 years ago

It's a feature that's been available on HubPages for a couple of years now.

As mentioned, no one else can see it on the hub, except for the author.

It allows you to see if people posting without being logged in, or under different aliases are in fact the same person.

1. BuffyGirl profile image80
      BuffyGirlposted 4 years ago in reply to this

is this a bug that i'm seeing other people's IP addresses if they post a comment to me and does that mean people see mine when i post on their hubs?  if this is isn't a bug i won't want to post on anyone's hubs anymore. sad((((

1. BuffyGirl profile image80
        BuffyGirlposted 4 years ago in reply to this

shouldn't this just be visible to Hubpages admins?

1. relache profile image87
          relacheposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's visible to the Hub author so that if someone is spamming or harassing the author via multiple identities, they can tell and then report that user.  There's no way that the admins could monitor every comment on every Hub.

4. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 4 years ago

I will often get abusive comments from people on my hubs about Saudi Arabia (many of which I publish if they are not outright rude or contain foul language). They will often follow up from the same IP address supporting themselves as supposedly someone else! Having the IP address lets you see the games that some commenters play!

5. 2uesday profile image89
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

As far as I can recall a comment left on a hub has always displayed the IP address to the hub writer. I have been on HubPages for 3 years and have always wondered if that was a good or bad idea. I cannot say that I have noticed it elsewhere on the sites I visit.

6. Dale Hyde profile image88
    Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago

As mentioned numerous times in this thread, only you, the author, can see this IP address.  No need for concern. It is there for protection.  I own various other websites myself that allow commenting and all the software allows this same feature.  It IS fairly standard practice.

7. BuffyGirl profile image80
    BuffyGirlposted 4 years ago

Ok thank you for your replies. I guess the good outweighs the bad as long as people are aware that their IP will be shown to the author of the hub, like you said IP's are visible to admins of web forums. I just wasn't aware of it here. So now I see that these hubs really are like our own little websites in that respect...I just wasn't thinking of them that way.  Having gone through a battle with many others (and winning) in an online virtual community to outlaw IP gathering without consent, because it was used in a detrimental manner, left me a little gun shy I guess.

8. BuffyGirl profile image80
    BuffyGirlposted 4 years ago

Actually, it was always outlawed in the community's ToS but residents had to protest on a large scale to get the rule enforced.