jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)

An End to the DMCA - A Light at the End of the Tunnel

1. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 5 years ago

For close to a decade now I have become increasingly frustrated by having to routinely pick an article off one of my hubs or sites, and search for copied content, before sending out on average about 30 - 40 DMCA notices each and every time. 

While for the most part articles get taken down, this does not remove the fact that a large amount of my content repeatedly gets copied, and getting them taken down is a never ending battle.

Fortunately most of the copied content is placed on Adsense sites, and it appears there may be a light at teh end of the tunnel.

http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/ … nline.html

The interesting part of this being "we will be working with rightsholders to identify, and, when appropriate, expel violators from the AdSense program."

If violators are removed from the Adsense program then we may actually see a drop in people stealing our work!

2. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

I think it's fabulous that AdSense is taking this issue even more seriously than they have in the past. But....most of the content that has been stolen from me has been put on sites that do not run AdSense. I suspect they've either already been expelled or are using other people's content to try to get an AdSense account.

I'm also a little confused by "We will prevent terms that are closely associated with piracy from appearing in Autocomplete." Does that mean that if you go after certain keywords (whatever they are), your page may not show up in AutoComplete results even though it's unique, quality content? I found that a bit confusing.

1. simeonvisser profile image88
      simeonvisserposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Autocomplete simply suggests keywords to search for as you type your search query. I think the above means that words and phrases like 'torrent' and 'illegal music downloading sites' won't appear in there. I think you can still search for them though but Google won't give you any ideas in that respect.

If you hub targets those keywords then people will have to type them in manually rather than using the suggestions by Google.

2. Misha profile image75
      Mishaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am quite cautious, too. We'll see how this pans out...

3. yenajeon profile image82
    yenajeonposted 5 years ago

I'm SO happy that Google themselves are taking action. It's great news!

4. thisisoli profile image72

The removal of copyright infringement terms will mor than likely be to do with phrases such as torrents.  For instance if you are searching for free music download, a suggestion may be free music download torrent, which would probably be an illegla site.

While not every site stealing content runs adsense, if enough people get banned for copyright infringment, we might see a drop in this kind of practice over time!

5. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years ago

Yes,I have been frustrated to discover quite a bit of my stuff copied. Interestingly, I can't find it without typing in the first line of my story (not the title) and enclosing it in quotation marks. It appears that software doesn't pick it up unless it has the original title in.

I've given up trying to ask to take it down.

6. sabrebIade profile image84
    sabrebIadeposted 5 years ago

I have filed about 60 DMCAs in the past week.
    I'm REALLY hoping all this pans out.

7. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

What about YouSayToo ? They leech on copied content all the time anyway.

Better way is to slap such sites in SE results because if not adsense then they'll use some other local affiliate program against which we can't work with using DMCA.

8. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 5 years ago

The only change I really see there that's going to benefit me is a faster response time on Google's part.  They already would expel people from AdSense for copyright violations before this notice.

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I am SO tired of people stealing my articles! I'm weary from fighting it.

1. sabrebIade profile image84
      sabrebIadeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

DON'T stop Habee!
      I was like that Sunday and after a few minutes I thought "I'll be damned if I'm just gonna let them get away with it!" and went back to doing DMCAs

10. thisisoli profile image72

I tried cutting back to only articles which were appearing for my keywords, but I get so MAD when people steal my work, I get mad that I am having to spend time, a lot of it, fighting these criminals.  It makes me go in to Crusade mode.

Every so often it is worth it, I managed to get a user taken off article base who had stolen over 2000 articles and filtered them with their own affiliate links.

Even with cutting and pasting they probably put a huge amount of effort in to that, I hope it gave them a both a kick in the teeth, and a pause for thought.

11. WoodsmensPost profile image64
    WoodsmensPostposted 5 years ago

I have submitted an email to the website owner of the stolen content

also submitted to Bluehost a DMCA (host of the website) and with Google a DMCA. It has been over 24 hours and the website is still up with copied material of mine and other hubbers.

Still waiting for a response from any one of them.

Generally how long does it take to get some sort of response?

This is the first time I have had to file. The content is half from one hub and half from another. The website is total bogus copied material.