jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

MAC Makeup at Amazon

1. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I'm so depressed today. (My life revolves around hubs, sad I know).
    I've already written 2 hubs about MAC makeup - one of which has been copied all over the net - and was working on a third yesterday when I noticed all those comments at the foot of each product accusing them of being fakes.
    This led me to to researching how to spot fakes as it seems that Ebay has had this problem for some time now, and judging by the criteria I read about, there is a fair chance that every single MAC product Amazon sells is fake.
    I don't want anything to do with selling fake products, so my new hub lies unfinished and I'm going to have to go back to my existing ones and change them to informational hubs, I think.

2. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

What a bummer! I am not surprised tho, fakes are big business hmm

3. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I somehow had the idea that Amazon would have been above this - that they would check out the products before they advertised them. Apparently not. I'm sure they must know because reviewers had commented to tell them, and still they haven't removed the products. I'm not saying they are all fake, but one of the sites suggested putting the name of the product into the MAC website, and if it didn't come up, even in out of date products, then it doesn't exist.
    Nothing I checked came up..

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have gotten fakes from amazon, but since it was a third party seller or whatever they didn't give two figs. We took it to trading standards and let them deal with it, since amazon didn't want to get involved. At least ebay has always taken some sort of action when we get fakes we are actually more likely to buy from them hmm

4. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

That is shocking!

You'd expect to buy fakes at a street market from a top retailer.

I've written to MAC to ask them to confirm that Amazon are selling fakes, but I don't really expect to hear back from them - their site is far too plush to listen to a pleb like me!

I hope everyone at least glances at this thread - us selling fake products on our hubs reflects badly on Hubpages too.

5. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

This is a real bummer for you Izzy, after all your hard work.

But thanks for sharing the info, as it never even occurred to me that there would be fakes for sale on Amazon.

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wonder how many other products are fakes? I've also written a few hubs about a product called Hoodia, and there is a known problem with fakes being sold of it.
      I had a url saved called something like where to buy genuine or pure Hoodia, and was going to use Amazon products but not now. I have left it blank. The google ads can fill the space.