jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

You Tube and Hub Pages Copyright Issues

1. J Sunhawk profile image81
    J Sunhawkposted 5 years ago

What are the copyright issues when using You Tube in Hub pages.

For example, let's say I'm writing a Hub on "Best Steak Cuts for Your Grill."

I come across a great You Tube that illustrates how to grill steaks.

Do I contact the owner of the You Tube video and ask for permission?

Are You Tube videos public domain?

I also see that Amazon includes videos for some of its products. Can we use those in Hubs without writing to Amazon for permission?

1. LiamBean profile image88
      LiamBeanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If I'm ever in doubt I write the person who posted the video. In one case I found a very good video on how to create fiberglass objects. I wrote the fellow who posted the video and asked his permission to use it.

It was a mutual arrangement. He now has a link to his video "how to" page and I have a first class "how to fiberglass" video in my hub.

It never hurts to ask.

2. ThomasE profile image82
      ThomasEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My thoughts as to the second question... whether you are allowed to use an Amazon video, is that from a legal perspective you are not. It is like using an Amazon photo. You can't do it legally, having checked the Amazon ToS, without getting permission.

In practice, Amazon does not seem to object to it, but from a technical point of view, it is clearly not legal.

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

YouTube videos are not in the public domain. However, anyone who has uploaded a video and enabled embedding has already granted YouTube permission to retransmit the video via embedding, and therefore it is unnecessary for you to get permission from the owner.

Amazon videos are not supported by the HubPages video capsules.

1. LiamBean profile image88
      LiamBeanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Actually, YouTube videos without the embed link are copyrighted. There's usually a notice as well. When someone uploads a video to YouTube they are given the opportunity to put it in the public domain or not.

But I believe it's always best to ask regardless.

1. 0
        Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No. Allowing embedding is not the same as to "put it in the public domain." Placing a work in the public domain means that the copyright is forever relinquished, and anybody can forever do with the material as they please. Allowing embedding, on the other hand, is merely a license to re-distribute in that specific way. The owner can disable embedding at any time, or remove the video, and the embedded videos will no longer play anywhere. Had the video been transferred to the public domain, this act would be permanent and irreversible.

These are facts of copyright law. It is a misunderstanding of the law to think that allowing embedding involves relinquishment of copyright - it does not. It is a license, and all copyright remains with the owner.

So please let us not confuse "make available to the public" with "put in the public domain." These are two very different things.

3. KristenGrace profile image61
    KristenGraceposted 5 years ago

100% agree with W.E.

Just wanted to add - I've made hubs where I promote selected Amazon products, and rather than use an Amazon video - I look on YouTube for a product friendly hub and will use that.  Videos can be quite helpful.