HubPages has changed...

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (58 posts)
  1. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 13 years ago

And it's getting worse.  I've been on HubPages for almost a year, and it was a lot more fun in the forums a year ago, people use to leave more comments, and some people are just plain rude.

1. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I think it's a size problem. Even just a year ago HP was a much smaller community, let alone the family like thingy it was three years ago. I tend to think that organizations and companies become less humane and more formal with growth, looks like it is valid for communities, too...

1. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True.  But I just read another hub by Shades.  Was like the old days when you read really good content and had a laugh.

1. Misha profile image64

About taco? Masterpiece! big_smile

1. Jewels profile image82
            Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's the one, brilliant as usual. lol

2. ImChemist profile image57
        ImChemistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Im here on HP for very long time more than you ... 9 hrs  haha

2. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True Dat!
      Where is BP when we need her? smile
      Where is Beth 100 when we need her? smile

3. vox vocis profile image80
      vox vocisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I usually stay out of the forum section - why, you may ask? For example, religious threads are really "killing me with kindness" and these threads are nuuuumerous!

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

This did indeed used to be a more kinder, gentler place…

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

There definitely is a partisan spirit (or dis-spirit) permeating the forums. Especially the political and religious forums.
    But then there are still quite a few "just for fun" forum threads at any given time and postings there are not rude...

4. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Hubpages is cyclical, things will get really fun, communities will form, then a few people will have a disagreement, people will get upset, and leave, or attempt to get other users banned from the forums. Others will stalk the leavers and continue to abuse. Eventually the forum becomes a drab desolate place. Only the faint whisper of a newbie asking why their pasted adsense code is not working on their page, and someone talking about prayer remain for several months until people slowly pick up the pieces and begin talking again.

Plus we have just passed the Christmas period, my forum activity pretty much ceases on the run up to the busiest shopping season of the year!

I noticed that a lot of the other serious writers on here slowly have less posting time and gradually disappear from October through till just after January.

1. Merlin Fraser profile image60
      Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. figment profile image75
        figmentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

kudos

5. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

Seems to have got a lot worse since the Bible Belt evangelical fanatics turned up.

I know we shouldn't encourage them or even give them the time of day but they come out with the most preposterous rubbish one just has to stand up as a voice of reason and common sense.

Trouble is now they’re here they won’t go away, just like other wonderful Internet places they arrive like an infestation and are nigh on impossible to eradicate.  Fortunately they tend to stick to the Forum area and are easily spotted and one can, with practice, ignore them.  Without an audience they are pretty much preaching to themselves and we should leave them to it.

As the Russians say; “Why kick a sleeping snake...?”

1. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because it's easier than kicking a snake while it's awake :p

In this case though the snake is not exactly sleeping.  I would suggest downloading edweido's forum filter, then you can safely have all the religious nonsense blocked from view. 

Hopefully when they realise nobody is listening to them preach apart from Mark Knowles they will simply give up and go away.

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where do you get edweido's forum filter?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sophia, I posted a link in my comment above. I had forgotten to post the link! http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/64113

1. profile image0

Thanks. smile I truly can't stand the constant relgiious rubbish.

Yesterday, I was approached by someone to ghostwrite a book This book was going to be very special as it was going to rewrite the bible and make Christians accept gays. And this person had a great 'caling from God' through a 'near death experience' that was going to waken the entire world population. Bloody crazy.

No, I won't be writing the book!

2. Julie2 profile image59
      Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Fraser, you have hit the nail right on the head! It just becomes so tedious. I had one fanatic follow me (stalk) through different forums. Any forum I posted something on that person would make sure to reply something nasty to me, mind you I have only been here 2 months!

3. Misha profile image64

Sorry, Russians don't say this. smile

When I worked in Moscow they did !

Or at least that was the version I was given when I tried to explain my use of "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie...!"

However, Russia is a big place... I only went to the Oily Bits !

4. Right On Time profile image60
      Right On Timeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Merlin Fraser - you've got some cool opinions that I heartily agree with smile

6. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

Doubt it Oli.... I think Mark and Randy are on a mission !

1. Midnight Oil profile image81
      Midnight Oilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They make me laugh no end, and while it's best to ignore them, they do bring a big smile to my face with their 'preposterous rubbish'....

Although, eventually if it gets too bad you might have to release the lions ! wink

1. profile image0

I don't think it's funny. I think it's incredibly dangerous to the fabric of a civilized society are so ignorant and superstitious. In additionl, they all gang up on one if one dares to point out the flaws in their logic.

If they do gang up on you... or anyone else Help is always at hand,  Seek me out or Mark Knowles or Randy Godwin  we will ride to your rescue... We just love loud mouthed bullies.

1. profile image0

Will do! smile

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think the new forum filter has helped immensely. I only see the forums I choose, I haven't seen politics or religion on HP for over a week. I don't have to see any more rude rants and it has changed the forum experience drastically. much more peaceful.

here's the forum thread talking about it. with the filter you don't even see the thread titles.
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/64113

8. KristenGrace profile image59
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

I just avoid the threads that I disagree with or don't wish to participate it.

I know quite a few hubbers who I think are kind and sincere, and I try to be myself... Others, I just let do or say what they need to, but I won't engage in discussions such as ones referenced to with your post here.

1. Julie2 profile image59

I guess thats the best thing for us to do KristenGrace, stay away from the ones we really dont care for.

1. KristenGrace profile image59
        KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad you agree, Julie!

9. Midnight Oil profile image81
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

Start a separate religious only Hub pages website and forum, so they can go bang their drum or tambourine there to their hearts content...

1. Julie2 profile image59

LMAO! That would be just lovely Midnight Oil. lol

2. Merlin Fraser profile image60

Not a bad suggestion however they don't want to talk to each other their mission is to spread their warped take on religion.

We all know they are an ignorant self appointed loud mouthed minority and I think we all know we should ignore them with extreme prejudice but they’re like an itch you know you shouldn’t scratch but just can’t resist.....

10. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Hey, the download says that my computer can't read it. I've got firefox beta 4... Does that mean I have to change to Firefox 3?

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you're talking about Edweirdo's add-on, just send him a message from the download page.

1. profile image0

Okay...smile Thanks.

2. Edweirdo profile image83
      Edweirdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sophia, the Forum Filter add-on is not yet supported for Firefox 4 (because it is still in Beta and I do not have the beat installed yet!). It works with Firefox versions up to 3.6.*

I plan on getting to a FF 4 version soon.

In the meantime, there is also a Chrome version if you use that browser - you can find a link on my profile...

1. profile image0

Okay, thanks. I'll use Chrome. smile

11. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I miss the days when HubPages didn't have a forum...

But the new forum filter helps.

12. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Forums are great as long as you pick and choose.

1. KristenGrace profile image59
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agree.

13. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

That's right, blame it on the snake...hey that sounds familiar somehow!  smile  I'm sorry I mess up your forums playing with the Christians. 

I'm doing research for a hub about why they believe like they do.  But I think I've gotten more than enough so I will cease and desist so you guys can carry on with whatever you haven't been able do.

Look for my future hub on "Complaining." lol

Don't you dare quit on ME !!!

I just made you an honouree member of the Dragon Slayers, required to ride to the rescue of Damsels in distress at the hands of these Morons.....

We need the voices of reason around here or  THEY WIN !

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know those little itches can't be completely ignored, Merlin.  Otherwise they start popping up in other, more private,  places. lol

14. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Nothing stays the same, everything changes, on the net even more so and twice as fast!

I belong to and have belonged to dozens of forums covering everything from farming to full size rubber dolls (don't ask). smile

They come, they get popular, they get old, they slow down, they close. Which is why you don't want to get too attached to any forum.

Or anyone on a forum. I've met some great folks here and done good biz with a few others. Hope to do some biz with others here. But I know this place can be gone tomorrow. That's life on the net! smile

1. profile image0

You're right. The very first forum I joined in 1995 was gone within a few years. It broke my heart.   I still wonder what happened to some of those people. And that's been the story ever since. smile

15. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I don't think that Hubpages should be judged solely on the forum, it is only one small (generally unimportant) aspect of a great platform.

You are correct it is a great place and full of great people and great contributors.

Not sure we are judging HubPages merely voicing our concern about a small rouge evangelical minority who trawl around the Internet spreading their brand of religious rubbish.

We're just having a small rant about it which HubPages allows us to do...

16. QudsiaP1 profile image60
    QudsiaP1posted 13 years ago

I do not know about before because I joined recently but I absolutely love love love hubpages.

I think I have to go and thank the guy who suggested this place to me. I find myself to be a lot more encouraged and motivated, now that I have actual readers.

Though I wish people would refrain from being negative or from creating negativity in the forums.

17. Right On Time profile image60
    Right On Timeposted 13 years ago

Hubpages seems nice enough, just sometimes the site seems a bit slower is my only minor quibble

18. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Am I the only person who thinks the forums have actually improved compared to a year ago?

A year ago, it seemed that every hubber and his/her (usually her) dog was leaving HP in a huff, taking their hubs with them.  Or threatening to do so, presumably in the hope that people would beg "Oh, no pleaaaaase don't go - we love you!"

And Edweirdo's forum filter has greatly enhanced things (Edweirdo, if you're reading this thread please reinstate/insert a Contribute button on your download page - I couldn't find it when I looked!)

1. Edweirdo profile image83
      Edweirdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mozilla recently upgraded the interface for their developers, and the "Contribute" button on my add-on's page vanished! I'm looking into the problem and will post a link for people to contibute directly via PayPal in the meantime...

19. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Like most pastimes and being similar to a relationship, its part of an attitude of depositing and withdrawing from a bank. You need to first deposit, increase with interest, and withdraw less than you deposit, like in relationships.

I guess I should have just said you get out of it, what you put in, lol.

20. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Change is the only constant so why expect anything different?
    I find HubPages much better than some others... but we can do a lot to make it better..   smile

21. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I realise this is all my fault for being new, and being a bit lax on the bowing and scraping.  I am prepared to mend my ways in exchange for a decent bit of hub love.  Let's say 40 hits per page by midnight.  And if one of you old time successful tight wads could like actually purchase something (you must have made a tidy sum by now).. that would be grand.

1. brandonhart100 profile image75
      brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Mark, both of our faults. wink 

I think you all are great, maybe the answer is some additional rules in the forums.

22. itech profile image63
    itechposted 13 years ago

I miss Activeness of whitney09 in forum... She was very kind at that time.... but Now turned into a full professional... tongue smile

23. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 13 years ago

smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)