jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Reporting a Spammer

1. nlthomas profile image60
    nlthomasposted 6 years ago

I did a search on this first and didn't find anything related. I'm not sure if this is spamming or not. I got a 'fan mail' from a user who is now 'following' me.

However, upon looking at their profile, they only have 1 hub, have been here 5 months with over 1k followers. Looking at their recent activity, all they're doing is following people on hubpages.

I can tell that they're following people just to get followed back. Does this qualify as spam or something else? How should I report this, if at all? I mean, they haven't hurt me personally and haven't commented on my hubs, but it's still annoying to see the activity abuse.

thanks in advance

1. ThomasE profile image82
      ThomasEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It does sound spammy. Each follower is a backlink to your profile, so this is a common thing for a spamster to do. I would flag the profile.

nlthomasposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'd thought of that, but wasn't sure if there was anything else I should do. Kind of tricky when you think about it. All that effort for just one hub too. Sounds more like a waste of time for me wink

Okay, I flagged it. I didn't realize you're given options and a place to write your reasons for flagging. That's really helpful. I've never flagged before, so I apologize for the newbness of this.

2. itech profile image53
      itechposted 6 years ago in reply to this

And the name of that person starts with 'five'

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

The HubPages Terms of Use define spam as using a script or automated system to follow, which is a violation. Following people in droves manually may hurt the author score, but it is not considered spam and is not against the rules.

Thanks WE. I wasn't sure where they drew the line. It still looks like spam to me, but that's because anything done in droves is spam in my eyes. I went ahead and flagged the profile anyway. I'll leave it up to the Hubpages team to decide.

1. 0
        ssaulposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i will definitely consider that  to be spammer since all they doing is follow, lol

working