jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

More interesting Google finds. (Some Scary)

1. brimancandy profile image83
    brimancandyposted 5 years ago

I decided to check to see where some of my hubs fall when I do a google search in various ways, and, it is very weird how some of those searches turn up stuff that has nothing to do with my hubs.
    I typed in the title of one of my hubs, and I came up with a whole bunch of sites related to businesses. And, not only did it link to a business, my hubpages user name was also in the description!

So, I decided to do a search using just my user name, and I came up with links to almost every forum post I have ever made. Not only that, but it also found me on facebook! And, I don't use the same name there. But, it was cool to see a majority of the sites I wanted to find at the top of the list. But, I was kind of bummed that any sites related to them were blocked.

Oh, and I also did a photo search using just my user name, and I was shocked to see that a lot of my Amazon ads appeared. So that was cool. But, there was also some stuff that worried me. Mostly my user name being used to promote sites that have nothing to do with me or my hubs, or anything that I am connected with.

So, you never know what you will find, but, it was fun to experiment with it. Thought you all might want to give it a try, and see what you might find.

As a note: I just checked my video links and they are still unspoiled. But, my username apparently loves photos that have nothing to do with it. I'm guessing linking to any website with a photo in it, will automatically connect it to your username. Not Good.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

Yes I've been googling myself for years. Fun, to say the least!

And yes, it is kind of scary. I often go back and delete or change things if I feel it's something I don't want on a search engine in relation to my username.

1. andyoz profile image84
      andyozposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wow, that was interesting!  My name pops up in some very strange places!  Links to my articles all over the place, a lil scary like you say.

3. Ellarose92 profile image60
    Ellarose92posted 5 years ago

o wow thats crazy i'm so scared to do that but i prob should just in case something is showing that shouldnt be.