jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Paralyzed by Keyword Research - What Now?

1. bogerk profile image85
    bogerkposted 5 years ago

In my first 3 months on HubPages I have published 64 Hubs. Which I consider a fairly good pace but in the last 10 days I have only published 3. It isn't Writer's Block as I have topics of interest I could easily write a Hub or two about. But rather I am paralyzed by Keyword Research.

Instead of writing another Hub on a topic similar to others I have published knowing it is likely to only get 3-5 views a day and result in pennies at most, I have decided to search for lucrative keywords and have discovered 2 things:

1) low competition/high CPC keywords are pretty obscure
    2) low competition/high CPC keywords are grammatically "awkward"

Example 1) Obviously the keyword "sports" is too popular for me to compete in with 45 million searches a month. So in trying to find a good sports-related keyword I came across "boston herald sports" which is in the target competition range and pays $4.08 - but, that's pretty obscure. I don't live in Boston and have never read the herald. What am I going to write about it?

Example 2) I have a Hub about ticket sellers online and thought Id write another. "Cheap tickets" has too much competition but "chip tickets" has much less competition and actually pays more. But am I really supposed to write an entire Hub referring to "cheap tickets" as "chip tickets" just to help the article SEO? That just seems wrong.

Am I over thinking this? Am I researching wrong? Should I just keep writing in the hopes that something clicks or one of my Hubs hits the jackpot? Am I still way too early in the process to be this concerned.

I want to get back into the writing groove I was in the first 2.5 months, I just don't want it to be for nothing.

1. andyoz profile image86
      andyozposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I know exactly what you mean.  I have nailed it when it comes to getting page views, but that isn't earning me any real moeny.  It's very difficult to find a subject that both pulls in readers and pays well.

1. bogerk profile image85
        bogerkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you are getting page views you are one step ahead of me. My 64 Hubs average about 85-100 views a day.

I am also on 5 straight days of $0.00 adsense earnings and no Amazon sales, but I'm less concerned about that since everyone seems to think January is bad for making money.

2. 0
    cookingdivaposted 5 years ago

Everyone works different way, and even if one did perfect keyword search and wrote a perfect article with perfect products, it will depend on person reading to click and buy it or not.

Most people like free and cheap things, so I would say it is trial and errors. I have heard good CTR rate is 2-5%, that means 2 people out of 100 will buy anything from anyone.

There are 2 ways to make money.

1. Make lot of articles
    2. Lot of linking.

Do combination of 2 and it will work. January is bad month for selling anyways as everyone is tired from shopping during xmas. Wait until people get back to buying mood.

1. Glemoh101 profile image61
      Glemoh101posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Instead of publish lot of articles , concentrate on little articles with good seo.
      choose your long tail keywords which have little competition and high search volume then optimize your hubs for this keywords .